Looking for new music like this. . .
Jul 13, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #17 of 31
I dunno man... I listen to a bit of MGMT and I've heard a bit of OK GO, and they sound pretty similar to me..... I can't pass judgment on their artistic merit since I've only heard two of their songs (which I thought were nice), but that's just my two cents.

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #18 of 31
I like the song Kids, but past that, just not my cup of tea.  My bands doing a heavier version of Kids, and it really lends itself to interpretation (past the recording of kids in the intro, obviously).

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #19 of 31

Quote:
I dunno man... I listen to a bit of MGMT and I've heard a bit of OK GO, and they sound pretty similar to me..... I can't pass judgment on their artistic merit since I've only heard two of their songs (which I thought were nice), but that's just my two cents.

Listen to "The Handshake" or "Of Moons, Birds, and monsters" or "Siberian Breaks" by MGMT. Thats their main type of stuff. OK GO's music is okay, but for me its missing the warm bass that MGMT has in every song

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #22 of 31
Are you talking about the main singer?   I admit his voice is an acquired taste, but give it a chance and it will grow on you.  There are also 2 females that sing for DP, they both have amazing voices.  Listen to Bitte Orca if you can, its a great record, and produced well to boot!

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #23 of 31
The Flaming Lips are definitely psychedelic.  The FL guitarist Steven Drozd has been pretty open about his heroin addiction and claims it improves his musicianship and compositional skills.  Unfortunately it is also killing him slowly, as he now looks like a shadow of his former self.   In any case I highly recommend the album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, as that is my favorite FL album.

Boards of Canada Music Has A Right to Children is more trippy than Animal Collective but is a great album. 

**** Buttons Tarot Sport is also pretty psychedelic, but more intense than Animal Collective.

The Antlers Hospice also has a trippy vibe and is a very good album.

Fleet Foxes are more traditional than Animal Collective, but have a Beach Boys vibe if that is what you are interested in.

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #25 of 31

Quote:
reallly... nobody for ween!? 

I'm all for Ween.  More than most any other band mentioned on this thread, in fact.  Though I only know something like 25% of them! But Ween is something special, that much I'll insist.

Jul 16, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
The Flaming Lips are definitely psychedelic.  The FL guitarist Steven Drozd has been pretty open about his heroin addiction and claims it improves his musicianship and compositional skills.  Unfortunately it is also killing him slowly, as he now looks like a shadow of his former self.   In any case I highly recommend the album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, as that is my favorite FL album.

Boards of Canada Music Has A Right to Children is more trippy than Animal Collective but is a great album. 

**** Buttons Tarot Sport is also pretty psychedelic, but more intense than Animal Collective.

The Antlers Hospice also has a trippy vibe and is a very good album.

Fleet Foxes are more traditional than Animal Collective, but have a Beach Boys vibe if that is what you are interested in.

yeah that album by the flaming lips is dirty, and i love fleet foxes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back