Looking for new IEM to replace ATH-IM50
May 29, 2016 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wes1099

100+ Head-Fier
My ATH-IM50's are now barely functional, and I am looking for a new IEM to replace them. My original plan was to get a new cable for the IM50's, but I figured I might as well try something new, and if that doesn't work out I will just replace the cable on my IM50's.

I am looking for the best sounding, most durable IEM that I can get for $80 USD or less. Something low-profile would be nice but it is not 100% necessary. What do you guys suggest? I have been looking into the HiFiMAN re400 but I am not sure if the cable is durable enough. I also looked into the VSD3S but I can't find anything about how their sound compares to the IM50.

May 29, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 7
Due to the nature of the IEM market, $100 is a critical price point where a lot of high value for the price IEMs cluster, and after which diminishing returns kick in hard. If you can extend your budget to $100 you would get a lot more good options. That being said, if that's not possible, the Fiio EX1 is a rebranded Dunu Titan 1 for $70 and is a great IEM for the price. Otherwise, your best resource for IEM recommendations by sound signature is The Headphone List, which has a recommendations page updated for 2016.

May 30, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 7
Due to the nature of the IEM market, $100 is a critical price point where a lot of high value for the price IEMs cluster, and after which diminishing returns kick in hard. If you can extend your budget to $100 you would get a lot more good options. That being said, if that's not possible, the Fiio EX1 is a rebranded Dunu Titan 1 for $70 and is a great IEM for the price. Otherwise, your best resource for IEM recommendations by sound signature is The Headphone List, which has a recommendations page updated for 2016.

I suppose I could extend my budget to $100. I will also go check headphone list.

Check out SoundMAGIC E80 and Yamaha EPH-100.
The E80 looks nice, not sure about the Yamaha though. I we look into them some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back