Looking for new IEM (Classical)
Oct 28, 2009 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jarrett

500+ Head-Fier
Hello

Don't mean to make this a duplicate of other topics, I just wanted to know what the current suggestions are for someone looking for an IEM <$100 for Classical, Jazz, and World music (acoustic). I playback with a Sony S618 and have no intention of buying a separate amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/e...ct-re2-410676/

Updated my old topic above. I've owned the ER6i and RE2. RE2 I wouldn't want to own again if they have such reliability issues and cheap build. Back to the ER6i? RE0? Something with a bigger soundstage than both would be a nice change.

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 11
I've heard an awful lot about the RE0. Apparently they're a steal at $100 and would be well suited for classical music, due to them being so neutral. The only reason that I haven't bought them myself is because I've heard that they really don't have deep, impacting bass, which I prefer.

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 11
That's a possibility. May look at ER6i again, but I'd get even less bass than the RE2.

Why do they say soundstage on RE0 is poor? I don't understand open design vs closed design either. I've heard of open air and closed air headphones...as in covers your whole ear or you just wear it over your ears.

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 11
There are no open IEMs - that's simply a paradox. Some, such as the Bose In-Ear, are semi-closed.

The soundstage on the RE0 is not poor - just average as far as top-tier IEMs go, but you're getting it far below a top-tier price.

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 11
Classical? RE0 by a league. Not much classical instrumentation lives in the frequencies the phones lack--organ pedal tones, the bass drum, the contrabassoon. That's it.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 11
I went with the RE0
icon10.gif

I emailed him about it and instead of an RE2 replacement he took a few dollars off the RE0 because I was interested in those. Thanks guys
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back