Looking for new heaphones, $100-$200 budget
Feb 9, 2015 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jarrsquare

New Head-Fier
hi, so i currently have an AKG K550 and a Fiio E12 amp. 
i'm happy with my purchases, but i'd like to purchase another pair of headphones :D
i recently checked out the grado sr80e and i just love how it looks! however, i read online that it would hurt my ears after wearing for a long period.
i listen to a lot of rock and pop, with lots of female vocals
open type headphones are preferred, either on-ear or over-ear as long as it stays comfortable after long periods
lastly, it would be AWESOME if it benefits from my amp :D

thanks!!! :D

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 4
Take a look at (and if you can listen to) the SR 225e.  It has different ear pads than the downline Grados and many find it to be more comfortable.

Headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Sizing and sensitivities are unique to each person.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 4
The SR225e's are definitely the best Grado's $200 or less currently.

You might want to get some G-type cushions with them for comfort, check out the Ear Zonk cushions.

For another idea HD 598's are $150 right now which is an excellent deal, not the greatest for metal(not always rock either) though, but amazing for jazz/classical/piano and similar music. Not at all bad for electronic either IMO. But the Grado's are better all-rounders and would be better for rock, the HD 598's are just better at what they excel at IMO.

Then again, I haven't heard the SR225e's, that's only based on my past experience with Grado's. HD 598's aren't very fast which is mainly why they're not so great for metal, it's for more laid-back music, excellent mids and they sound warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back