Looking for new headphones
May 3, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #16 of 25
I own a pair of the HD598s (I used to use the HD590s for competitive gaming, which are an early predecessor to the HD598s) and I love them.  If you favor midrange the most get the 598s but if you prefer bass get the 770s or the V-Moda M100.  All of these can be purchased from headphone.com.

May 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:
what about amps? from what i can see, there's cheap $10 ones, then the next one up is $300 :S

will an ipod amp do justice? (an e3/e5)

they help improve the bass and volume from what i can hear.
help to really drive the headphone? no, they require much higher end amps.

May 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:
are there any worth buying at around $40, or am i better off just waiting till i can get something for a few hundred?

It kinda depends on what you need.
Normally cheap amps just help you get more bass and volume.
If that's all you need than its okay then.
But if you want more refinement, then save up, or buy a new headphone.

May 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #21 of 25
alright thanks everyone for the help, i think i'll go with the hd 598 and an e3 from ebay to try out for now

if anyone has some further suggestions before i buy, feel free to post
edit: though i'm ordering as we speak :)

May 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #22 of 25
I dont know why people are saying an amp will add more bass. It wont unless it has bass boost. And even then the design of the hd598 isnt meant for bass. You can hear it but you cant feel it. It's like the bass is lifeless. And I dont know why a cheap amp is even being recommended. The Xonar has an amp built in. 

May 3, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:
I dont know why people are saying an amp will add more bass. It wont unless it has bass boost. And even then the design of the hd598 isnt meant for bass. You can hear it but you cant feel it. It's like the bass is lifeless. And I dont know why a cheap amp is even being recommended. The Xonar has an amp built in. 

Well that is pretty much what an E3 and E6 and a lot of cheap amps are designed to do. Sure expensive amps don't do that.
I would personally say use an EQ if you know how to use one.
Sure the bass impact can't match closed counterparts. One way around this however is an eq.

May 4, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:
can't i eq with software? or is it a different effect?

well it is better to eq with the software itself, better control of the quantity and signature of the sound.
only amps with eq would suffice if the source has no method of eq (like ipod classics and ipod nanos and ipod shuffle)
(i just had the thought that most people don't use the software eq)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back