Looking for new headphones
Sep 19, 2007 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

J_C_Denton1

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, Im searching for new headphones. Can you help me out?
I will use the headhphones that I have as point of reference.

I like PX100 bass power, (but its not as tight as Grado SR-60). I hate bloated bass like PortaPro.
I like Grado SR-60 detail (important!) & separation.
I hate Grado SR-60 sound - no soundstage.
I will use it for portable MP3/CD on the bus without amp. Clip on is a no-no.
I listen to pop musics & play PC games with onboard soundcard.

Willing to try anything! Price is not important, but preferably below $300. (Too much money already spent in headphones, LOL)

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 16
Don't know if you fancy huge headphones in public, but at home, you might want to look at the Audio Technica AD series; AD700 or AD900, or higher. They might be something of interest.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 16
Equation Audio RP21 perhaps, but coloring is a matter of taste.

Audio Technica AD900, but that is humongous in size, definetly not portable friendly for eyes.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 16
Check saint.panda's paper on closed headphones. Do yourself a favour and get closed headphones that isolate decently for bus duty. The paper is probably not up-to-date so do check the new models like the ones that MaZa mentioned.

If you were willing to compromise a bit on soundstage, the HD25-1 might be a good choice.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you were willing to compromise a bit on soundstage, the HD25-1 might be a good choice.

x2, although there are better closed cans out there, you'd be hard pressed to find ones that are as portable as the HD25-1. The soundstage isn't terrible, but it certainly is lacking compared to open cans for the same price (but unfortunately that comes with the territory of being a closed can).

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 16
RP-21's are medium size-- Not huge. They seem to have what you're looking for. They have the detail of my MS-1's but with a much much better soundstage and they're definitely bassy enough for me. They have good isolation and they're fine for the bit of FPS gaming I do. Only $100
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sure there are other options though -- I haven't tried all too many headphones.

Sep 19, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 16
There HAVE been times when I wanted to be back on stage or in the studio with the performers, that I have put my MS2i away and dragged the dear ol' MS-1 back out since for some types of music, the MS2i have almost too BIG a soundstage!

At the $300 limit though, the MS2i may be another good choice.
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 16
i listened to hd25..it was a great experience..bass was in my brain..nowadays my friend is in too far..he is in japan..and he tells me to buy a audio technica headphone behaves like sennhiser px100..what do you prefer?thanks

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for the reply.
HD25 costs more than $300 here. But I can find HD25-SP about half the price. Im not saying Im going to buy it but, are they the same?

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 16
That's a rip-off!
Look for used cans or try to find better prices. Not that you shouldn't consider anything else but, if these are so expensive, chances are other headphones would be outrageously expensive as well.

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:00 AM Post #14 of 16
New Zealand's the same, a few headphones are decently priced, but many are just outrageous. Look around and you'll usually find good deals internationally. No idea what Australia is like with import taxes though.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #15 of 16
I honestly think you should give the Ultrasone HFI-15Gs a shot. I rotate through my collection, and lately they've been my new favorite can for use at work. They have the detail the Grados have, with more bass, and good soundstage. They aren't muddy like the Senns. They still have good crisp highs. Think of a Grado with more soundstage and mids that aren't as in your face. These things were made for PC use and gaming as well, but they play music very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back