Looking for new headphones, top 350 euros!!
Aug 12, 2017 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Baam

Head-Fier
Hi all!

So I’m in need of new headphones. I had a pair of Creative Live Aurvana and I was really happy with them, but they broke. Now that I’m a big boy and can afford buying something more expensive, I was thinking on spending like 300-350 euros at most in the new ones, but I need some recommendations. Let me share some preferences:
  • First of all: I’m not an audiophile. Maybe I become one in the future, maybe not. But I do appreciate good quality. So that’s why I need guidance haha
  • Second, so that you can hate me for it: I’m going to plug them to my computer. I do not own a sound card (though I may buy one in the inmediate future). If you are curious, my motherboard is a Crosshair VI Hero.
  • Since they’ll be for my computer, I’ll use them for everything: Movies, games, music…
  • Music is what will be playing most of the time. I listen mostly to metal: Prog, Death, Power, Heavy, Thrash. A tiny bit of Black and Prog Rock as well.
  • They gotta be closed, as I don’t want anyone surrounding me to hear what I’m listening to.
  • I do not want wireless (oh well, this is an audiophile forum, I doubt anyone will recommend wireless cans haha).
  • I may spend all day with them on (8-14 hours), so they must be comfortable.
  • I do not want them with mic, I’m looking for headphones, not a headset.
  • Music is mostly on MP3 or via streaming (Deezer).
So, I know what would be the obvious choice: Grado. But I want them close and comfy, so I’m afraid that discards them…

I was researching and I found several models. I decided to try the Beyerdynamic DT770 (32 ohms) and I was utterly disappointed. I didn’t like the sound and I found them uncomfortable, preferred my old Creative…

So, to summarize: Closed, comfy, under 350€ and for metal music. What do you think there is out there for me?

Thanks in advance!

Edit 1 with the same stuff I wrote down below:

So, I've been trying AKG K550 and I would say I do find them better than the DT770 and the CAL. Real quick breakdown, with bands as examples:
  • What if I play Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin? REALLY good.
  • How about some prog metal with Dream Theater or Devin Townsend? Very good, though not as much.
  • And prog rock with Haken or Porcupine Tree? Freaking amazing, unbelievable, I'm in heaven.
  • Metallica? Pantera? Just ok, good enough.
  • But then I jump to the dark side and play some melodic death, like Opeth or Dark Tranquillity and everything becomes somehow flat.
  • Then I go straight into black with Emperor and it is even "flatter"...
This wouldn't have been a problem 2-3 years ago, as I didn't fully cross the barrier to the dark side back into death and black, but now I happen to listen to it more and more... So the question would be: Something that performs like the AKGs in the "light side" but as well in the "dark side"?

PS: I found this topic https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution.715478/ and it is somewhat helpful, but obviously there are too many headphones missing. Those Abyss AB1266 seem like the perfect match, but I do not have 5400 euros for a pair of... You know what? Let's stop right there, I just don't even have 5400 euros!!!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 11
What did you dislike about DT770 and what did you like about CAL?

I do not really know how to express myself properly, as my technical vocabulary regarding this topic combined with English not being my mother tongue makes it difficult, but I'll try to explain it as best as possible:

I actually only tried the DT770 for like an hour, but they felt cold, lost and distant. CAL felt closer, "warmer", more inviting. If it was a concert, I would be gazing from afar with the DT770, while I would be in the first rows with the CAL. DT770 felt cleaner, but lacked "passion", like listening to dead, plain music.

Oh god, I think I have just given the worst description ever. But I think it would had been as awful in my own language haha

Aug 14, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 11
Baamp (awful pun on my nickname).

So, I've been trying AKG K550 and I would say I do find them better than the DT770 and the CAL. Real quick breakdown, with bands as examples:
  • What if I play Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin? REALLY good.
  • How about some prog metal with Dream Theater or Devin Townsend? Very good, though not as much.
  • And prog rock with Haken or Porcupine Tree? Freaking amazing, unbelievable, I'm in heaven.
  • Metallica? Pantera? Just ok, good enough.
  • But then I jump to the dark side and play some melodic death, like Opeth or Dark Tranquillity and everything becomes somehow flat.
  • Then I go straight into black with Emperor and it is even "flatter"...
This wouldn't have been a problem 2-3 years ago, as I didn't fully cross the barrier to the dark side back into death and black, but now I happen to listen to it more and more... So the question would be: Something that performs like the AKGs in the "light side" but as well in the "dark side"?

PS: I found this topic https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution.715478/ and it is somewhat helpful, but obviously there are too many headphones missing. Those Abyss AB1266 seem like the perfect match, but I do not have 5400 euros for a pair of... You know what? Let's stop right there, I just don't even have 5400 euros!!!

Aug 14, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 11
Well, if you are looking for a headphone suited for many hours of relaxed listening, then AKG 550 mk2 or Sony MDR-1A would probably be the best due to comfort.
Beoplay H6 and Meze 99 Classic may sound even better for you, but their earcups are slightly smaller, so they aren't ideal for everyone.

Can't really think of any other closed headphone in this price range that would suit you.
If you don't mind an open headphone though, then you should check Philips Fidelio X2.
Sennheiser HD 600 or HD 650 would also be a great option, but these 2 need a decent amplifier.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 11
Well, I was recommended the 99 Classic on the headphones for metal thread as well, so I'll try getting my hands on them, though it may be hard, Amazon is there for me to buy and return if I don't like lol.

Thanks guys!

Aug 15, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 11
If you do get the Meze check out the thread for them as there are some eq settings that can really wake them up. I'm not one to use a lot of eq but it did make the 99's sound fantastic.

Aug 26, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #10 of 11
Hey again!

So, I got some Meze 99 Classics and... They are the winners!! I was starting to get a bit desperate to be honest, as I was not enjoying any of the headphones I tried (in the way of "they do not sound much better than the CALs") hahaha.

I said that the AKGs were amazing with some classic and prog rock and I still find them better in that aspect compared to the Mezes... but the difference is way smaller than the HUGE difference between the Mezes and the AKGs when we go to metal. I do not know how to describe it, but it is like every instrument is an independent entity, all working, collaborating, with each other, while on all the other headphones I tested it was like all of them blend together and that's it. There are details I hear now that were never there.

On the AKGs metal was dead, no life behind it. When I played Demon Of The Fall for the first time, it almost felt like the first one in my life. When I played Dream Theater's The Astonishing, after 30 minutes I could not help but thinking that if I had heard the album with these headphones the first time, I wouldn't have been SO disappointed (it grew on me with time though).

Hope they sit on their throne for the longest of time :D

d3dd2cdb-4aa9-45d4-8c58-40a38c8ce5cc.jpg

PS: Yep, if I use my second monitor I have to take out the stand hahaha

Aug 26, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 11
That is good to hear you like them they are pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back