Looking for new headphones to go well with Sonnar Essence STX
Aug 31, 2013 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

McRooster

New Head-Fier
Hows it going guys

A while a go I invested in a Asus Xonar Essenct STX and altough I definitely picked up a immediate improvement from my sound, I beleive I am not making the most out of the sound card as the only best headsets I have are a Astro A40 and ATH-AD700. I primarily play games (mainly League of Legends) and like to listen to music(a lot of variety). I occasionaly play some FPS games so I would also like to find something that gives me a decent surround sound input too.
I don't really have a budget, although I try to avoid going over $500 (leave your suggestions if they are over that price because I might find them cheaper).

Thanks for any feedback!

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 3
Heya,

The STX can handle almost all headphones short of the hardest to drive (due to demanding current, not voltage). So you can literally put anything to it. It's not a question of whether it will drive it or not. It's a question of whether the synergy between the headphone and the sound of the opamps of the STX pair nicely to your ears' preferences.

That said, some suggestions for headphones to consider for gaming and all-genre music listening:

AudioTechnica AD900X
Beyer DT880 250ohm
Sennheiser HD600
AKG Q701 or K702
Hifiman HE300
Hifiman HE400
Philips Fidelio X1

Very best,

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

A while a go I invested in a Asus Xonar Essence STX and all though I definitely picked up a immediate improvement from my sound, I believe I am not making the most out of the sound card as the only best headsets I have are a Astro A40 and ATH-AD700. I primarily play games (mainly League of Legends) and like to listen to music(a lot of variety). I occasionally play some FPS games so I would also like to find something that gives me a decent surround sound input too.
I don't really have a budget, although I try to avoid going over $500 (leave your suggestions if they are over that price because I might find them cheaper).

As you already have open headphones (ATH-AD700).
How about the Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones, $160-$200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back