Looking for new headphones. Down to Grado SR60, KRK KNS-6400, and Shure SRH4400 but open to other suggestions as well.
Mar 13, 2013 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cleardesign

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi,

I've been on these forums as a lurker for quite a while and read all of the recommendation/review threads for these cans. But I'm still not sure. 

Backstory: Cable is fraying on my Grado-sr60s. I was going to re-cable but don't have the right tools/don't want to invest in a nice cable for these headphones. I've decided to just buy a new pair. My headphones always seem to fail at the cable somewhere so something with a detachable cable would be highly preferred. 

Use: I use my headphones everywhere, and am pretty rough with them. I throw them in my bag to take to work every day and listen to them on my laptop when I'm working in my studio. I'm virtually always listening, so comfort is a huge factor. The Grados can get uncomfortable for extended listening sessions.

Budget: trying really hard to keep it under 100 dollars. But if it's the perfect pair of headphones I suppose I could go up to 115ish.

Tonal Balance preferences: I love how my grados sound right now. Clean and accurate reproduction with a balanced approach to sound is what I'm after. Bass should support the mids and treble but not overpower. 

What I listen to: Everything but bass heavy hip hop. Classical (Mahler, Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Berlioz) Jazz (mostly big band type stuff. Ferguson and Rich) Rock (AC/DC, the hives, zep, the beatles, and others are always on the menu) and post rock as well (GSYBE, Explosions in the sky, el ten eleven, cougar)

I'd appreciate any amount of input a great deal!

Thanks

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 3
Well all I can say is, the grado sound is the grado sound and if you really like it, you are going to have a hard time finding anything else even close. If it were me I'd get some SR-80's and cush pads for em. If Grado could ever make the SR series phones sound just like they do now, but be comfortable to wear, they would break the bank, they would sell so many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back