Looking for New Headphones (Different sound sig to HD650s)
Jan 30, 2013 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rt310

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

In China ATM and so far have purchased the EPH-100, a new portable rig (Sansa clip zip + amp) and IE80s. Funnily enough i find myself with way too much money left over (lol and its not even new years). As a result of this i'm looking for another full size pair of headphones that sound different to the 650s. The genres i listen to the most is Asian pop and Classical. I love the HD650s but am curious about what other cans will sound like in comparison.

I have around ¥2000 to spend (approx. 315 USD) to spend. Keep in mind that many popular non-chinese brands tend to be overpriced, but by no means does that mean that you shouldn't recommend them. I'm open to all suggestions!

Thanks for reading!

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Heya,

Maybe look into:

Beyer DT880
Hifiman HE-300
Hifiman HE-400
Sony MA900
AKG Q701
Ultrasone HFI 2400

Very best,

Thanks for the suggestions!
How does the HE-400 fare against the HD650? From a quick search it seems that there is much debate on which one is better. In what areas do you think the HE-400 excel at as opposed to the HD650?
Also, does the Q701 have any differences to the K701/K702 or is it just the same product, just endorsed?
Just one other thing: What are your opinions on the Mad Dogs? they look extremely interesting; are they worth the price? ($350 when purchased from mrspearkers, shipping incl.)

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions!
How does the HE-400 fare against the HD650? From a quick search it seems that there is much debate on which one is better. In what areas do you think the HE-400 excel at as opposed to the HD650?
Also, does the Q701 have any differences to the K701/K702 or is it just the same product, just endorsed?
Just one other thing: What are your opinions on the Mad Dogs? they look extremely interesting; are they worth the price? ($350 when purchased from mrspearkers, shipping incl.)

Heya,

The HE-400 presents vocals and treble better and has much better extension and control into the lower frequencies compared to the HD650, at least to me. The HE-400 will give you that emotion and piercing beauty from the vocals of jpop as they're high pitch and that's part of the attraction. The HD650 makes that subdued, polite and tame. You lose so much energy with the HD650, it's for a more mellow/relaxed listen. Some prefer that of course. I simply think for exciting treble-testing music, the HE-400 is a better way to go.

The K701/702/Q701 all sound virtually the same. It's said the Q701 is slightly warmer. I have both. I think the Q701 is slightly warmer. I liked it better than the K701. But ultimately the AKG sound is pretty dry to me and I much prefer the Beyer or Hifiman signature for virtually everything, but that's just my take on it.

The Mad Dogs are exquisite and can be further tweaked to suit needs, if you want a closed ortho.

Very best,

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Heya,

The HE-400 presents vocals and treble better and has much better extension and control into the lower frequencies compared to the HD650, at least to me. The HE-400 will give you that emotion and piercing beauty from the vocals of jpop as they're high pitch and that's part of the attraction. The HD650 makes that subdued, polite and tame. You lose so much energy with the HD650, it's for a more mellow/relaxed listen. Some prefer that of course. I simply think for exciting treble-testing music, the HE-400 is a better way to go.

The K701/702/Q701 all sound virtually the same. It's said the Q701 is slightly warmer. I have both. I think the Q701 is slightly warmer. I liked it better than the K701. But ultimately the AKG sound is pretty dry to me and I much prefer the Beyer or Hifiman signature for virtually everything, but that's just my take on it.

The Mad Dogs are exquisite and can be further tweaked to suit needs, if you want a closed ortho.

Very best,

Thanks for the info.
How would you rank the HD650s, HE-400 and the DT880 taking in account the genres i listen to? They both look great and am having a lot of trouble deciding
redface.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the info.
How would you rank the HD650s, HE-400 and the DT880 taking in account the genres i listen to? They both look great and am having a lot of trouble deciding
redface.gif

Heya,

Based on what you described that you listen to, in my opinion, it would be HE400 > DT880 > HD650. But that's just how I think about it. I have all three of these and when I listen to the vocals of Jpop I tend to want a very energetic headphone, not a dark headphone (like the HD650). And the HE400 has juicy ortho mids, it just is what I would take for Jpop easily (and classical). Any genre frankly.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back