Looking for new Earphones/Portable Headphones
Nov 16, 2009 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

baronkatz

100+ Head-Fier
Dear All,

I am new to this forum and was deciding between some earphones. I have to buy new ones as my B&O A8 Earphones which I lovingly used for the past 3 years have just broken. Basically I wasn't taking good care of them and I had a 3 year standard warranty on them but the left earphone cable got ripped a little as I didnt have a case and was just throwing them around in my bag.

I am now looking for new earphones of the same build and sound quality which can be portable. I was thinking of the AIAIAI Swirl 2.0 or something similar. I need something that is made in Denmark, Germany, UK, USA, or Japan, etc... I dont want anything made in china and please dont suggest anything that is or ask me why.

I know that build quality is evidently better if it's made in a first world country and out of principle I dont want to support products which are made in third world countries as the companies would have sold the same product 20 years earlier which was made in the USA for example for the same price as they are now selling for making it in a third world country.

If the quality really didn't matter then why would for example Seinheisser make their top of the line things in Germany or why would Canon and Nikon make their top of the line SLRS (1D and D1, etc...) in Japan while their cheaper ones are made in third world countries. It's obvious that companies know that professional gear should be made in first world countries and not third world ones. If you look at everything from Ortofon Needles to Technics SL1200 to Phase One Digital Backs it's all made in first world countries and for good reason.

Anyway I was just wondering what you guys could recommend of high end earphones which are made in a first world country and still had the feel, style and quality of the A8s. I would consider the UM1, UM2, UM3 but they look so cheap and plasticy and are just too ugly for my taste.

Thank you in advance!

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't believe there are any headphones made in the Third World these days. Thank goodness my Nikon D200 was made in Thailand, a great developing country. It has been banged around for almost 4 years without any issues. On the UN Human Development Index China is almost fully developed; certainly when I was in Beijing last summer it felt way more developed than any other city in Europe.

Sounds like you need to get a replacement B&O which has "feel, style, and quality." I bought a Beovision when I was living in Copenhagen 10 years ago but that thing broke down after 5 years of use (an 800 dollar bill to replace a faulty tube). So much for that "1st world" build quality.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lex2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe there are any headphones made in the Third World these days. Thank goodness my Nikon D200 was made in Thailand, a great developing country. It has been banged around for almost 4 years without any issues. On the UN Human Development Index China is almost fully developed; certainly when I was in Beijing last summer it felt way more developed than any other city in Europe.

Sounds like you need to get a replacement B&O which has "feel, style, and quality." I bought a Beovision when I was living in Copenhagen 10 years ago but that thing broke down after 5 years of use (an 800 dollar bill to replace a faulty tube). So much for that "1st world" build quality.

My budget is around 100-200 dollars.

I wouldn't say that Thailand is a great developing country to the teenage or underage prostitutes that roam the streets nor to most of the people who are starving and suffering there. If China was almost a fully developed country most people would not be poor as they are. I know economists say that the Chinese economy will overtake Japan soon but lets face it, the reason labour is so cheap in China is because greedy factory workers can exploit their cheap labour and we in the west can exploit the situation the country is in. Most of the money goes to the rich companies and rich factory owners not most of the people working in the factories. It's the old saying of 99% of the wealth going to 1% of the population (these figures aren't accurate but just an expression maybe close enough). Japan on the other hand, well most people consider themselves middle class there.

Anyway ethics aside as stated before the top of the line products of most companies and most professional high end products are made in first world countries for a reason. Any suggestions on any products? The only one I found besides the A8 B&Os are the AIAIAI Swirls which are made in Denmark but I have yet to read a review of them and they are really cheap at 65 dollars which leads me to question whether I can get better ones for a bit higher price.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by baronkatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My budget is around 100-200 dollars.

I wouldn't say that Thailand is a great developing country to the teenage or underage prostitutes that roam the streets nor to most of the people who are starving and suffering there. If China was almost a fully developed country most people would not be poor as they are. I know economists say that the Chinese economy will overtake Japan soon but lets face it, the reason labour is so cheap in China is because greedy factory workers can exploit their cheap labour and we in the west can exploit the situation the country is in. Most of the money goes to the rich companies and rich factory owners not most of the people working in the factories. It's the old saying of 99% of the wealth going to 1% of the population (these figures aren't accurate but just an expression maybe close enough). Japan on the other hand, well most people consider themselves middle class there.

Anyway ethics aside as stated before the top of the line products of most companies and most professional high end products are made in first world countries for a reason. Any suggestions on any products? The only one I found besides the A8 B&Os are the AIAIAI Swirls which are made in Denmark but I have yet to read a review of them and they are really cheap at 65 dollars which leads me to question whether I can get better ones for a bit higher price.

LOL...can of worms.

Back to the headphone suggestion, if you liket he A8 or aiaiai go for it.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks Mythless.

Well I am studying for an MA in International Studies and Diplomacy and I dont like to support outsourcing but that's my personal choice and my opinion.

I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions besides those two. I was thinking to get something that's also really good quality but possibly something else so that's why I was asking and also if anyone has ever used the AIAIAI. The problem with the A8 is that it was too big to fit in my Ear all the way and although all of my friends had it fit really well I think my ear opening must be smaller than theirs as it didn't fit all the way. I like the fit though and adjustability my ears never hurt from it. That is my one fear with the "plug" ones such as the AIAIAI as I have never tried them might hurt the ears after extended listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back