looking for new computer speakers
Jul 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

strrstarrynight

Head-Fier
hello, im new here, just wondering if theres any good computer speakers around the 100-200 price point, is the audio engine a2s the best speaker around this price point? Preferable to be small form factors. thanks for any suggestions 
atsmile.gif

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 18
Do you have to have small form factor? The 2.75" driver in the A2s is very small, which means small sound. See this CNET review of the Lepai amp and Dayton bookshelves:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57439115-47/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-$70/

For your budget, I would recommend the Pioneer Andrew Jones bookshelves: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/

Here's a review of the Andrew Jones speaker set: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/pioneer-sp-pk52fs

For an amp, step up in quality and a little more output than the Lepai to an Indeed TA2021 or Topping TA2021 t-amp.

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 18
+1 on the Dayton / Lepai setup, a friend just picked up that exact combo after I pointed him to the CNET review. He wanted some speakers for music on his back patio and was absolutely blown away by the quality of this little set. I haven't heard them though, so one of these days I'll have to pop over and check them out.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 18
You can go listen to those Andrew Jones Pioneers at Best Buy; I did and was not impressed. If you want small form factor, A2 would probably be a good choice, or, if you want more bass, then the Klipsch promedia 2.1 would also be reasonable (not audiophile quality, but nonetheless decent for the price). Depends on what you listen to I'd say. Of course, you could always get the A2 now and pick up a subwoofer later when you can afford it if you want more low end.

Jul 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 18
If you need small the Audioengine A2 are the way to go. However, if you have room for larger speakers you can get better for the same price. If you want to save some money look at buying factory refurbished. They come with the same 3 year warranty and are $40 less. Alternatively, Shoreline Music sells open box from time to for around $120, but they are sold as is with no warranty.

The passive route cel4145 probably gives the best bang for your buck and ease of upgrade down the road. You would need to buy an amp to power them though so you lose a little desk space compared the active/powered speakers.

For other active/powered speakers in the same price range as the A2 you could look at Monoprice's new studio monitors. They have both 3 inch and 5 inch models. There isn't a lot of information out there on them yet though so it is hard to say how good they are. At half the price if the A2 though the 3 inch model might be worth considering as another small alternative. The Swan D1010 is supposed to be very good and cheaper than the larger D1080, but at 4 inches might still be getting too big for you. Lastly you can look at M-Audio. Many say they prefer the AV40 over the A2. But M-Audio has poor quality control issues so it might be best to just avoid them.

Your last option is just get some decent 2.1 PC speakers. If you want a lot of bass for movies or games this might be the best choice for you. I would suggest getting a set that has tweeters like the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 rebe suggested opposed to a set like the Logitech Z623.

Jul 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 18
uhm, what about the hivi swan d1080 mkiv how does it compare with the a2s,  andrew jones setup

I don't know how they compare to the Andrew Jones, but they should best the A2 just because they are twice the size. The A2's low end starts dropping off around 90 Hz. The larger 5 inch drivers of the D1080 should go quite a bit lower than that and give fuller bass. If size is a issue you might consider the slightly small and cheaper D1010.

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 18
Yes that is definitely true, but they are everywhere and carry that speaker. While there I was lucky to find a bargain price on the MM-1, so that's what I ended up getting; I listened to that, the Klipsch and the Andrew Jones, and I would have taken the Klipsch over the A. J. for computer use. The MM-1 blew them both away, as would the A2 I imagine (though I've heard the A5+ but not the A2). 

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 18
currently i live in Singapore, the a2s are 340sgd while the d1080 iv's are only 210, i prefer clear vocals and transparent sound, which do u think would be a better choice or there are other speakers i can look into.

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #15 of 18
Yes that is definitely true, but they are everywhere and carry that speaker. While there I was lucky to find a bargain price on the MM-1, so that's what I ended up getting; I listened to that, the Klipsch and the Andrew Jones, and I would have taken the Klipsch over the A. J. for computer use. The MM-1 blew them both away, as would the A2 I imagine (though I've heard the A5+ but not the A2). 

Many people find Klipsch fatiguing even in HT usage because of the bright sound due to the horns. While they might suit you, that would likely be even more of a problem with nearfield usage in a desktop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back