looking for new computer speakers
Sep 12, 2011 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

vincedea

Head-Fier
hey guys im looking to get new computer speakers. im coming from a set of 5500 and im looking to go with a 2.1 since having a 5.1 for a pc seems a bit too  much and  never used the surround speakers. 

I current use a creative xtreme gamer sound card but am looking to upgrade the sound card to either the creative titanium or a ht omega.  is there a difference with pci express or the regular pci slots?  i would like to go optical instead of using direct channel.

so here our my choices that i have been looking at:

audio engine a2 and a5

edifier s530d

what do you guys think?

also are any of these able to be hooke dup to a small amp cause im curious of what they would sound like and how would i hook these up to a computer?

thanks for your help and time

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 10
Nope all of those are active speakers and if u are on a budget and want 2.1 i would say those S530 has a great response from owners - you could also check out the Swans M50W and Microlab H-200? If you had more $$ then stereo amp + bookshelf and a proper 8-10" hifi sub sounds good  You would need a 3.5mm/RCA cable to connect from PC to amp and some speaker wires 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 10
The edifier s530 is 1 of the best 2.1 systems around, it sounds good because it has proper speakers with a proper midrange woofer and tweeter, the s530d has digital inputs so you can connect it via optical or coax, all the speakers you listed are active so you don't need an amp. You could get a reasonable quality pair of bookshelfs and amp that sound much better than the a5's for the same price as the a5's.

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 10
Both them soundcards are solid state cards, theres not likely to be a great deal of difference sound quality wise between them, just get the 1 which has the features you need and will use, also when connecting up the edifiers via optical, get a glass core toslink cable they sound much better than the cheapy plastic core 1's.

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Both them soundcards are solid state cards, theres not likely to be a great deal of difference sound quality wise between them, just get the 1 which has the features you need and will use, also when connecting up the edifiers via optical, get a glass core toslink cable they sound much better than the cheapy plastic core 1's.

ok well do now the only problem i am having is where do i find those online for sale for a good price? i think amazon had them for 199.99 plus shipping

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 10
HEy guys i have decided to go with the audioengines  A5.  I will also be getting the ht omega claro plus sound card.  only question is how do i hook this speakers witht he card? from looking at the speakers thers no optical output on the back i only see the red and white outputs. or is that really the only way to hook these up to the sound card?

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
The Audioengines can only accept a 3.5mm input. The RCA (red and white) are OUTPUTS for hooking up a subwoofer, but surely any soundcard would have a 3.5mm output.

ahh ok in that case. since i plan on getting the a5s and i will be using them for music, movies and gaming on my pc. d you guys think i should get the ht omega claro or should i go with the xfi cards?

also since it doesnt come with a sub what sub would go well with this speakers? i would want a sub where it is not over powering i was looking at the audioengine s8 but would like to know if there are choices? thanks for your help again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back