Looking for new cans
Aug 18, 2013 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

killerfrenzi

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to a lot of pop music (korean pop to be specific), electronic [kpop and electronic music a lot behind games], and jazz and classical interchangeably. My Grado sr325 don't feel to great for what I'm listening too and I'm going through an audio gear revamp.

From a lot of the reviews, it seems like the HiFiMan He-400 and Sennheiser HD600 will probably fit my needs since they both seem to either be good for all genres or be good for what I listen to (if afaik, the he-400 are great for jazz and electronic, but how does that fair for classical and pop?). The thing that's drawing me to the HD600s is that the He-400 might not be as comfortable. I'm having such trouble with deciding on the new cans because there isn't anywhere in the San Diego area I can try the cans before making the decisions.

If I'm not wrong, I should look for some neutral and fast headphones.

All help is welcomed. 

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I listen to a lot of pop music (korean pop to be specific), electronic [kpop and electronic music a lot behind games], and jazz and classical interchangeably. My Grado sr325 don't feel to great for what I'm listening too and I'm going through an audio gear revamp.

From a lot of the reviews, it seems like the HiFiMan He-400 and Sennheiser HD600 will probably fit my needs since they both seem to either be good for all genres or be good for what I listen to (if afaik, the he-400 are great for jazz and electronic, but how does that fair for classical and pop?). The thing that's drawing me to the HD600s is that the He-400 might not be as comfortable. I'm having such trouble with deciding on the new cans because there isn't anywhere in the San Diego area I can try the cans before making the decisions.

All help is welcomed. 

Seems you are building your self a home set up, in which case I really enjoy my Beyer Dt 990 for classical and jazz, as well as ANYTHING electronic. The some what significant mid bass hump adds a nice weight to their mids, which is magical with classical and jazz, in addition they are nice with pop. However for anything with great vocals, the dt 990 might have a little to much bass

then dt 880 pro 250 how ever, should also work, it's not quiet as fun with jazz as the Dt 990 is but it's got much better vocals imo. There is also the closed option of a Modded w1000x. I have one [Purrin's mod and L3000 Pads] and it is excellent for everything you've mentioed. Nice weight and body on the mids for jazz and classical, with a good intimate nature to vocals as well needed Mid punch for when vocals are not so intimate. My w1000x does almost everything, with the exceptions of Classical and EDM, in which the Dt 990 excels 

I'd try the Dt 880, as it's not as warm as either of those two headphones, that pair with your TUBE dac would make for a monsterous can that should work with all the music you like. [as on tubes the Dt 880 is well it's maigcal!] 

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 3
If you are willing to EQ the treble of the HE-400 a bit alternatively along with doing some of the pad mods, I think you will like them a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back