Looking for new amplification
Oct 22, 2005 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Marco2

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum.

For the last year I have been using my Sugden Headmaster along with the Senn 650's. I have been really pleased with the sound but I really fancied some more bass power, on some recordings it seems a bit lacking in that department and was spoiling my enjoyment to an extent.

Just recently I took delivery of the SR225's and DT990 Pro's with a view to acquiring the low end clout I was lookiong for. Both of these headphones give such a different presentation to the Senn's I could not believe it. I am still running them in but first impressions are that the Beyers have serious weight which I pretty much fell in love with straight away, just what I was looking for, ideal for my hip hop collection. The Grado's are still growing on me, when I first listened to them they sounded so alien to what I was used to i thought they may be faulty !! Further listening and I am really beginning to enjoy them, some of my favourite live rock recordings really souind fantastic with these, it has brought a whole new joy to already familiar performances.

To cut a long story short I am after 2 new headphone amps. I am really happy with the Beyers performance with my Sugden Headmaster so I am looking for amps for my Grado's and Sennheisers.

I really fancy some something smoother, my source is quite forward and is not the smoothest around, bass whilst very controlled and agile, is more on the lean side.

I live in the UK, and am after advice on which amps would suite my Grado's and Senn's that are easily available to me within mainland UK.

My thoughts at the moment are leaning towards Earmax Pro for the Senn's and perhaps a RA-1 for my grado's. Or perhaps there is one amp that would suit all. Are grado's and valve amps a good match ?

Any thoughts would be greatfully received !!

Oct 22, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 3
Check out the sponsers as per the links at the top of the page - all great products.

My preference is the Bada PH12.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136296

With this amp you can dial in your sound by the tubes you choose - stock tubes all around for a solid state sound, other tubes for a rich and liquid tube sound, or my favorite tube set up for the most natural and realitic sound compared to any amp - combines the best of solid state with the best of tube amplification IMO.

Oct 22, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 3
The M^3 is a smooth SS amp that has good bass. You can swap opamps to suit your sound, whether you want it laid back, forward, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back