Looking for new all around IEM and have a $200 budget. So many choices...
Feb 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dregur

100+ Head-Fier
So, I've been out of the game for a while, especially after the Sennheiser IE8 debacle I ran into several years ago (Long story short, the kept breaking on me, customer support decided to ignore me the second time they broke, after a week and half with the replacement, and I decided to never really buy expensive IEM's again, other than some FAD IEM's after the first refresh. They too disappointed me.). I'm currently using a Klipsch S4a, as it was cheap, and decent, but they're falling apart on me, and I'm pretty sure I've been wearing them reversed the entire time because I don't want to wear them over the ear.

After reading a bunch, I'm about as confused as I was before I started reading about IEM's again. Granted, a little more informed, but confused nevertheless. The biggest problem I'm having is the seemingly contradicting reviews I've been reading. For instance, while looking at the CKM500, the highs are detailed. Except when they are barely there. Or the FTX90's awesome forwardness and all-aroundness, except the FXD80 is better. Except when the Sony whatever is better than that, with great value, except that they use J cords which drive me up the wall. Oh hey, there's new Audioflys that are awesome, but are also terrible. These new Earsonics are incredible, but are way too expensive. Crap.

*head banging on desk*

You can see where I'm going with this. I'm looking for a somewhat bassy IEM (I listen to everything really, mainly club R&B and Indie Rock/Pop, a contradiction in itself), that is a good all around IEM. My budget is less than $200 and the IEM needs to be worn cable down (just a preference), and with a preference with a mic, but it's not required. If someone could help out, that would be greatly appreciated, there's been a lot of new stuff that's come out, and I just haven't been keeping up right now. Thanks!

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 6
You can buy IEMs with good soundquality as IE8 under this budget like GR07 offers amazing soundquality which is comparable to very highend IEMs with good punchy bass and share soundsignature similarities with IE8 like warm, rich, crisp, highly detailed with tight punchy bass and fairly wide soundstage. The GR01 is even more detailed with little less punchy bass, both are highly recommended. UE TF10Pro are also great buy under this budget with wide soundstage and tight punchy bass.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 6
For every positive aspects of an IEM, there's always negative aspects; it's up to you to weigh the positives and the negatives to come up with an IEM you like.

In the end, relying on others' opinion can be unreliable. I'm not saying that you shouldn't look around for reviews or opinions, but remember : Sound quality is a highly subjective issue. Thus I think the best solution for you is to stop relying on reviews, go to a proper earphone store (one that have demo units) and demo some IEMs. Use your own ears to find out which IEM is best for you.

Trust me, I was as confused as you are right now; I used to rely on others' reviews and opinions when getting an IEM, but I that way I never seem to get an IEM that I really like. When I stopped relying on others and rely on my ears instead, I end up with an IEM that makes me happy :p

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 6
GR07 would be my first recommendation for 'all around', but it is an over-ear IEM and no microophone, though no doubt that this will be excellent across all genre

JVC FXZ100 would be my second recommendation if you like a bit of bass, as this triple-dynamic IEM has a kevlar subwoofer as its third dynamic driver, excellent especially for EDM, hiphop, pop, though a bit average for metal and classical music if you listen to those.

...lastly TDK IE800, superb across genres, but a bit weak if you like a bit of bass for hiphop, RnB, and EDM, but for everything else, top class...

beerchug.gif

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
GR07 would be my first recommendation for 'all around', but it is an over-ear IEM and no microophone, though no doubt that this will be excellent across all genre

JVC FXZ100 would be my second recommendation if you like a bit of bass, as this triple-dynamic IEM has a kevlar subwoofer as its third dynamic driver, excellent especially for EDM, hiphop, pop, though a bit average for metal and classical music if you listen to those.

...lastly TDK IE800, superb across genres, but a bit weak if you like a bit of bass for hiphop, RnB, and EDM, but for everything else, top class...

beerchug.gif

+1 for GR07

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back