Looking for neutral (studio) headphones with good isolation
Jan 18, 2017 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

martinweiss

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD-25s, which I use for DJing as well as listening to music in the office. I like them, however, I would like to expand my headphone collection.

My main criteria:
- Neutral sound reproduction (for studio use, not hi-fi)
- Good isolation
- Can be circum-aural or supra-aural (not looking for in ear monitors)

So far I've looked at:
- Phonon SMB-02 (seems like they're between over ear and on ear, which leads me to suspect poor isolation)
- Beyerdynamic DT 1350 Pro 
- Pioneer HDJ-C70 (looks like they don't get great reviews)

Otherwise I am having problems finding anything that I think I would like. Any suggestions for headphones to take a look at?

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 6
  I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD-25s, which I use for DJing as well as listening to music in the office. I like them, however, I would like to expand my headphone collection.

My main criteria:
- Neutral sound reproduction (for studio use, not hi-fi)
- Good isolation
- Can be circum-aural or supra-aural (not looking for in ear monitors)

So far I've looked at:
- Phonon SMB-02 (seems like they're between over ear and on ear, which leads me to suspect poor isolation)
- Beyerdynamic DT 1350 Pro 
- Pioneer HDJ-C70 (looks like they don't get great reviews)

Otherwise I am having problems finding anything that I think I would like. Any suggestions for headphones to take a look at?

Budget?

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 6
It may seem to simple.. or obvious but the Sony MDR-V6 /7506 are really good for this kinda stuff.. light, rugged , pretty neutral.. cheap..

people have been using these for studio use for decades now...

or you could also try the MDR-CD900ST if you wanted to spend the money..

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the suggestions. How is the isolation on these?

I wouldn't like a lot less isolation compared to my HD-25s. In fact, after having spent some time looking for a new pair of headphones, I think I won't be able to find a replacement for the HD-25s that will satisfy me. Maybe it's better to get a pair of headphones without considering isolation, and then live with the fact that I couldn't use them in noisy environments and DJing.

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 6
Also looking for headphones with very good isolation.
Currently alternating between DT-770m (80 ohm) and work-supplied Bose Quiet Comfort 25 (depending on how loud it is)
I would prefer greater isolation than the DT-770 (which is rated at 35db, not that I believe that; it's one of the highest that I've found, but can't keep up with multiple "meetings" happening at the same time in the open office) along with better/more natural sound.

Budget is effectively unlimited. Criteria is for all-day noisy office use. I have large ears, so big cans is a must.

Anything that has good isolation in the Audeze line? I like my LCD-2 at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back