Looking for neutral but detailed over-the-ear headphones under $200
Oct 14, 2016 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Dragnerok X

New Head-Fier
These headphones will primarily be used for PC gaming, but also listening to music and podcasts.
  1. Budget - Under $200 firm; I'm okay with buying open box, but not used
  2. Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-the-ear
  3. Preferred Music - 1950s-1970s Pop/Rock, Classical, Jazz
  4. Preferred tonal balance - As flat as possible within this budget
  5. Source - Windows 7 desktop PC with a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty sound card; I don't want to buy an amp
  6. Requirements for Isolation - Strongly prefer closed-back for isolation, but still considering open-back if they provide significantly better sound for my requirements
  7. Past headphones - I've owned a pair of ATH-M50s for 5 years, which these will be replacing. I liked how well they brought out previously hidden details and separated the instruments. I didn't like the over-emphasized bass, the lack of a detachable cable, and the pleather headband flaking around the 3 year mark.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 10
Sennheiser HD558 or HD598 headphones.

You might consider replacing the Titanium card with a Sound Blaster Z card.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 10
  Sennheiser HD558 or HD598 headphones.

You might consider replacing the Titanium card with a Sound Blaster Z card.

Thank you for the suggestions. I was considering the HD 598s, and the people at /r/headphones also recommended them to me. I just have a few concerns still holding me back..

1. Is the headphone cable detachable?
  2. How is the build quality compared to the ATH-M50s? I wasn't thrilled with the M50's earpads cracking and headband flaking so early on.
  3. I see that the HD 599s were just launched. Was this just a cosmetic refresh, or are there differences in sound/comfort/build quality?
  4. Are open-back headphones ok for voice chat while gaming? Are there any problems with feedback? There's a good chance I will be mounting an Antlion ModMic to whatever headphones I get. 

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 10
Audio equipment is like leather jackets; they are just as good used... sometimes better.

You can often find the Audio Technica MSR7 used or open-box for under $200. That is very much the sound you're looking for.

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #5 of 10
  Thank you for the suggestions. I was considering the HD 598s, and the people at /r/headphones also recommended them to me. I just have a few concerns still holding me back..

1. Is the headphone cable detachable?
  2. How is the build quality compared to the ATH-M50s? I wasn't thrilled with the M50's earpads cracking and headband flaking so early on.
  3. I see that the HD 599s were just launched. Was this just a cosmetic refresh, or are there differences in sound/comfort/build quality?
  4. Are open-back headphones ok for voice chat while gaming? Are there any problems with feedback? There's a good chance I will be mounting an Antlion ModMic to whatever headphones I get. 

The HD598 (& HD558) cable is detachable.

This the the aftermarket cable I got for my HD558
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=560215640802&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Did not buy it for audio improvement, but for the custom length and 3.5mm plug.

I was fine with the build quality,
guess it's about as good as you could get, for the weight of the headphone.

Not sure on the HD559 audio quality improvements, if there is any.
But would assume there is at least a slight improvement.

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 10
If you have the budget go for the HD 599. Else go for the HD 598.

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 10
Based on the research I've done and the recommendations I've been getting, it sounds like open-back headphones are pretty much my only option to get the soundstage PC games demand in this price range. I still am concerned about microphone feedback when using open-back headphones for voice chat. Can any fellow PC gamers chime in?

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 10
  Based on the research I've done and the recommendations I've been getting, it sounds like open-back headphones are pretty much my only option to get the soundstage PC games demand in this price range. I still am concerned about microphone feedback when using open-back headphones for voice chat. Can any fellow PC gamers chime in?

Might try reading up and asking on this thread about headphone gaming.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

Users who are viewing this thread

Back