Looking for my next pair of headphones (advice)
Aug 29, 2013 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Callius

New Head-Fier
[size=small]  [/size]

I love listening to music, especially when studying, which i do for hours a day, so music is my luxury when having to study 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I got a an old pair of Grados 325 (10+ years) from my dad and they have been my main pair of cans together with a pair of HD 25 1 ii the last 2 years. The grados i found a bit to bright and treble heavy, but i love the clarity, forwardness and intimacy. The comfort is however not as good. The hd 25 1 ii i have enjoyed a lot more, but as these are closed and have small drivers they get a bit cramped, with no soundstage. They are however clear with a forward mid and a punchy base. If i could find a pair of cans with hd 25 1 ii clarity and mids in a big can with a soundstage i would be set. Im not a bass head in any way. 

I have had my eye on the HD 600/650 but I'm unsure how they fit the music i usually listen to. I also have been looking at Dt 880 600ohm, but i am unsure if these might be too bright. And just to make matters worse i found a pair of Denon ah d600 on amazon for about 200euros which seems like a great catch but i find the reviews here to be mixed. 

Budget - 500 dollars or about 3000 sek

Source - Iphone and MBP 13 through e17/e9 combo. 

Requirements for Isolation - None, will use them in a closed room.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, comfort is a must as i use them while studying.

Preferred tonal balance - I enjoy smooth highs, warm mids and at least some low end with bass. Im no basshead.  Clear and detailed sound. Non fatiguing. 

Preferred Music - (indie/rock) Modest mouse, Interpol, Vampire weekend, Of monsters and men, Japandroids, the National, Baroness, cloud nothings, Local natives, Phoenix. I also listen to some Sigur ros, Ludovico einaudi, Regina spector, Suljfan stevens and some more laidback music.

Location - Sweden

Thanks! 

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 3
Heya,

Some suggestions:

Shure SRH840 with SRH940 velour pads
SoundMAGIC HP100
Mr Speakers Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads

AKG K550
AKG K240 MKII with velour pads
AKG Q701/K702
Hifiman HE-300
Hifiman HE-400
Sennheiser HD650
Sony MA900
AudioTechnica AD900X
Philips Fidelio X1

Very best,

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Heya,

Some suggestions:

Shure SRH840 with SRH940 velour pads
SoundMAGIC HP100
Mr Speakers Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads

AKG K550
AKG K240 MKII with velour pads
AKG Q701/K702
Hifiman HE-300
Hifiman HE-400
Sennheiser HD650
Sony MA900
AudioTechnica AD900X
Philips Fidelio X1

Very best,

Indeed, you can also try snagging a Beyer Dynamic Dt 880 pro, and getting a nice tube amp for it, that will smoooth out the beyers some what bright treble. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back