Looking for my ideal Headphones :)
Oct 11, 2015 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

carlosabia

Head-Fier
Hi guys, first of all thank you for reading me and your help, i know this is the right place to figure out what i want.

The most i'm willing to spend is $350.. I want them to be closed headphones, what i mean is i'm gonna use them only for music playing for me, i don't want them to leak, and to have some noise canceling. Im not planning on using any kind of amp, so i really need them to be loud enough to play from a phone, laptop, etc. 

I recently bought the Soundmagic HP150, i loved them, but they broke and don't plan to buy this brand again. I say this to have some idea of the kind of sound i like, which is clear highs (not to the point where they annoy) and deep bass that rests on the headphones, idk if you know what i mean, for when a bass note is played, it remains and not die right away. I like mids but dont really like it when its too much, because i feel it sounds like and old radio or a walkie talkie lol! I mostly listen to metal, rock (punk, alternative, etc), pretty much anything with drums, two guitars and bass, i like country music as well, and soome pop, but main focus is metal and rock to be completely readable and understandable. I really like stereo sound, i mean like big room, sounding like it has depth so i can appreciate every instrument. They're not for work, but for at home and traveling, so maybe not so ugly looking lol.

I'm sorry if im trying to find something extremely specific, but any help would be amazing!!! 

Again, THANK YOU!

Oct 11, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 5
I just did quite the rounds of the $300-400 closed back market.  I have had the B&W P7 for 2 years ($400)  During that time I tried the HP50, Momentum 1, Momentum 1 on ear, V-Moda M100, and a few others.  Then recently I decided I was going to get a new pair.  I bought the Bose QC25 (last place) Sony MDR-1ABT (wireless, they also have a wired version for $250 I think), Momentum 2.0 Wired and the Denon AH-MM400.  I also tried 3 more wireless sets, the Definitive Symphony 1, Parrot Zik 1 and the Denon GC-20.  I REALLY wanted to like the GC-20, but they were just too bass heavy and not well rounded enough.  I am also doing the Oppo PM-3 loaner program and I currently have them in my possession.  If you are interested in going up to $400 or have any more questions about any of these, I am keeping the P7 and the MM400. I would be equally happy with the PM-3, MDR-1ABT or the Momentum 2.0 if I wasn't able to compare them all back to back.

Oct 12, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 5
I just did quite the rounds of the $300-400 closed back market.  I have had the B&W P7 for 2 years ($400)  During that time I tried the HP50, Momentum 1, Momentum 1 on ear, V-Moda M100, and a few others.  Then recently I decided I was going to get a new pair.  I bought the Bose QC25 (last place) Sony MDR-1ABT (wireless, they also have a wired version for $250 I think), Momentum 2.0 Wired and the Denon AH-MM400.  I also tried 3 more wireless sets, the Definitive Symphony 1, Parrot Zik 1 and the Denon GC-20.  I REALLY wanted to like the GC-20, but they were just too bass heavy and not well rounded enough.  I am also doing the Oppo PM-3 loaner program and I currently have them in my possession.  If you are interested in going up to $400 or have any more questions about any of these, I am keeping the P7 and the MM400. I would be equally happy with the PM-3, MDR-1ABT or the Momentum 2.0 if I wasn't able to compare them all back to back.

Wow you really know you headphones.. from all the ones you mentioned, which one is your favorite and why? And which one you think would be ideal for me? I was looking into the new vmodas wireless but idk if its what im looking for

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 5
It's very much personal preference.  My favorite that I use daily now is the Denon MM400.  If your $350 budget is firm, The Momentum 2 are great and I have seen them below that.  If you need/want bluetooth, the Sony MDR-1ABT is the best sounding bluetooth set I've used.  If you have a bit more budget, the MM400 and P7 edge out the Momentum in my opinion.  The best way is to listen to them all in one room, that is the only way to tell which are best for your personal taste.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back