Looking for my first
Aug 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

noobnorwegian

Head-Fier
Hi,
I have never owned a balanced armature IEM, but I am eager to try one. Although I have read many reviews (especially multi IEM thread by Joker, and some other reviews here and there). One of the problems is that the balanced IEM often are compared with each other (in the same price range), and not with dynamic drivers,

Now I use Monster Miles Davis Tribute, which I am quite satisfied with. It is the best I have tried so far, but the main problem is that it has a little to much bass. When I listen to them for longer periods of time, my ears get tired of being "sub-woofer kicked". I like a deep bass, but I feel it should be less of it, and maybe a little better resolution.
When I listen to my Denon AH-D5000 I am always reminded that I would have something that sounded this good, in my ears!
I like that the vocals are slightly forward, they have a good sound stage and resolution and a nice deep resolved bass. They are also non-fatiguing when it comes to high frequencies. "warm" sound signature?

I listen mostly to metal, and I have a lot of power metal from the 80/90' s with poor recording, so that non-fatiguing part is important.

I have read a lot about Earsonics SM3, but it often says that they are dark sounding. I did' t like the Beyerdynamic dtx 101 since they where to dark sounding. Anyone knows if they are similar "veiled" and dark? I also prefer the vocal range of the MDT, which is quite nice.

How would the Westone 4R be in comparison? Do they have a sound signature similar to AH-D5000 full sized cans?

I have the possibility of buying some used UM Miracle, but I`m not shure if they have the sound signature I am looking for. It would be expensive if I didn't like them, since they need re-shelling.

Once i listened to the Shure 535 for a few songs... but there was not any wow factor there. Maybe the frequency response is too linear?

Are there other BA IEM I should consider?
blink.gif

IEM I have owned lately and a short description if it helps to recommend BA IEM:
Klipsch 4s: the worst IEM I bought, used them for one week before they god left in my drawer. Fatiguing/shrill sound, lacks warmth
Beyerdynamic dtx 101: Ok, but slightly too dark, and the bass is bloated (affects other frequencies) (same as dt 770 pro full sized)
Shure 215: These are second best after MMDT, but I think that the the bass should be extended to lower frequencies, not so much mid-bass. vocals also comes out better on the MMDT.

NoobNorwegian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back