Looking for my first set of headphones
Jul 31, 2017 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for an over-the-ear headset, preferably with inline controls and/or detachable cable, though that is nowhere near needed. Heavy bass is very preferable but again, not a dealbreaker. Going to be using it mostly at home, but a good 2-3 hours a day outside or on the bus, so in- and out-going noise isolation is a necessity. Not needing an amp is a requirement, since I'll be largely playing music from my Android or ASUS. Usually I use my current set (Microsoft LifeChat 3000) for music, sometimes movies or games, but music is the priority.

I will listen to everything but I tend to gravitate towards songs with bass in them, so I'm specifically looking for a bass headset. Mostly I like rock music, along with some pop and rhythm and blues, and sometimes folk. Occasionally some death metal, instrumental, electropop, or audiobooks. For blues type musics, I lean towards stripped or single-accompaniment, so I'm not looking for something that's going to be a non-stop bass cannon. Songs or artists like AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Joan Jett, P!nk, The Civil Wars, Seether, Adam Lambert, Hozier, Halsey, Ed Sheeran, Nine Inch Nails, Three Days Grace, Starset, X Ambassadors, Amon Amarth, E Nomine, The Irish Rovers, Orthodox Celts, and Shinedown. Sometimes I'll add in movie or game soundtracks, classical music like Beethoven or Bach, or reggae, though all of those are rarer.

So far I've got a few headsets that I'm considering. They were mostly chosen from googling lists of the 'best' bass headsets and from a lot of looking around on the HF forums toward the same end. I trimmed this list in half just from user reviews. The 598 is really the only one here that wasn't listed in a handful of top-ten reviews. This is going to be my first headset, so while I read the glossary on the site, I am nowhere near experienced. Also I am indecisive as all get out.

Sennheiser HD 598 - I like the look of them in the cream/brown; no outstanding cons besides the price, which would have me shopping secondhand
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 - like the build and they're supposed to be really comfortable with good sound; but the size of the ear cups was mentioned a lot in reviews, and the design looks a bit breakable, though that might just be because I'm used to a stockier set
JVC Kenwood Victer HA-SZ2000 - called a bass monster, which pleases me, and I like the look of them; several people said they'd use an amp with it, not sure if the bass would be too much on neutral tracks, and stock pads being horrible were said
Yamaha Pro 500 - very eyecatching blue colour, folds, reportedly a clean sound; expensive, a lot of people said they weren't comfortable after long use
Denon AHD600 - referred to as super comfortable, with excellent noise isolation; I feel like they would feel bulky or easily overheat just from the pictures of them, bass referred to as colouring other tracks (though not in a bad way, that was an individual's percetion)
VMODA Crossfade M100 - I really like the look they have, they have inline remote and microphone, are called exceptionally durable, and they're listed on just about every basshead thread; expensive, some users said it was too much pressure on their head
ATH Pro700MK2 - durable, bass heavy, swappable cable, folding band; I'm not too sure about that rotating cups, tight band and smaller ear pads, masking usses with traffic mentioned
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - I like the adjustable bass feature, but a few reviews mentioned having problems with the cords

Thanks to anyone that can lend their voice :)

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 23
I find Vmoda really tacky in design but that's just me. I'd vote the momentum 2; they're not fragile at all and are great for almost all types of music. Pretty good bass which doesnt overpower anything, and it still sounds clean. The open back 598 are an awful idea for being outside or on the bus, and even the closed back version is a bit big to carry around in public.

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 23
I like the M100 and the Yamaha but I really think you should add the JVC HA-SZ1000 to your list. It's a basshead can for sure. Also, I have the HD598 and it is definitely not a bass-heavy can. It's great, it's just not for bassheads.

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 23
If you want a bass heavy can the M 100's will provide that.

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 23
serman, is there much of a difference between the SZ1000 and SZ2000? They've gotten pretty much the same reviews from what I've seen, though any bass-heavy set is gonna be good in my book to some degree.

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 23
serman, is there much of a difference between the SZ1000 and SZ2000? They've gotten pretty much the same reviews from what I've seen, though any bass-heavy set is gonna be good in my book to some degree.
The SZ2000 gets more attention. I have only heard the SZ1000 for any meaningful length of time and their bass was awesome.The SZ2000 is supposed to be even better still. It was amped and EQ'd though when I heard it and I think in order to get the most out of either the 1000 or the 2000 you really do need amping and a good EQ--that's what all the SZ1000/SZ2000 experts say. You might go to the Full-sized Headphones Forum and read the SZ1000/SZ2000 threads and see what you think. Lots of good information there.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #9 of 23
Sennheiser HD 598 - Open back, and not much sound isolation
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 - Comfort might be an issue
VMODA Crossfade M100 - Probably the closest your looking for in your list, but as you mentioned, comfort might be an issue
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - I had issues with two pairs of these, and gave up after that.

If you're okay with open-back headphones, I'd recommend the Philips X1 or X2, X1 for the price. I'd also throw the HE400s into the running, if you're willing to buy used.
Perhaps to some people's chagrin, I'd also include the Beats Solo HD2.

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 23
serman, shall do and thanks

squee, at the moment I'm not looking for open backs unless they manage to have sound isolation but I'll take a look at them. What were the issues with the Beyer CPOs if you don't mind me asking?

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 23

squee, at the moment I'm not looking for open backs unless they manage to have sound isolation but I'll take a look at them. What were the issues with the Beyer CPOs if you don't mind me asking?
Open backs will have almost zero isolation

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #12 of 23
I have a pair of Yamaha Pro 500's. They sound awesome and are very easy to power (my phone powers them just fine), isolation is good too. I kinda hate the way they look, obviously my personal opinion. It's true that they are not the most comfortable but they are not too bad either. A lot of reviews were talking about the fact that they are too big but I have a very average sized head and have no problem with the size. I have never heard the SZ2000 but from what I hear, these are more balanced while not quite as bass-y. Still, quite enough bass for me!

Aug 1, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #13 of 23

To be honest, I have no idea. I tried several cables, different sources, and no audio. I returned them to Amazon twice, and rather than get a third set to try, I just moved on.

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #15 of 23
cossix, that's what I'd figured, but thanks for confirming

scott1, awesome, thanks!

squee, huh, that's weird. Sucks that they didn't work out for you, thanks for giving me a heads up.

007shark, I looked them up and they're downright gorgeous. Going to check a couple more reviews on them but they're quite likely to make it on the list as well, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back