Looking for my first "real" IEMs
Mar 24, 2012 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Yenasty5

New Head-Fier
Hey there.

So yeah, as the tittle says, im looking for my firs "real" set of IEMs in order to listen to my favorite band's upcoming album and enjoy it as much as possible, and also to enjoy all of my other music aswell.

The budget is not much really, i've looked around and seen some $300 sets of earphones and while i have no doubt they sound great, the sad truth is that im just a college student that loves his music a little bit too much. Having that said, the budget is somewhere around the $70-100.

I've done some research around that budget and i've seen a lot of love for the Klipsch Image, but i'd like to know what else is out there.

What im looking for is a set that is durable (they will be abused, probably 5+ hours of use a day), obviously that it sounds good (They will be playing mostly metal), and that they have decent noise isolation.

Hope you guys can help me out. Thanks!

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 15
For around $100 the IEM's that I have or heard that I think are good is the Yamaha EPH-100, Creative Aurvana In Ear 3 and the Shure SE215.  Also the Atrio MG7's are really good for bass and have good mids and highs as well and you can get them for $100 on the Atrio website with the discount code CostProg50%.

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 15
Agreed. Best place to start looking is in ijokers multi iem thread. Take your time, read it slowly, can be slightly overwhelming at first but there's some excellent information in there that will give you a better idea where to start out.

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
...they will be abused...

If you're going to get your first "real" IEMs, then I would suggest that you don't abuse them, and instead, baby them. 
wink.gif

It's what I did when I got my first "real" IEMs too..

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 15
I would suggest you SE215 because of the 2-year warranty, very strong kevlar cable (I'm a student like you, durability is important for both of us!) and obsviuosly... the pretty good sound!
rolleyes.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
I would suggest you SE215 because of the 2-year warranty, very strong kevlar cable (I'm a student like you, durability is important for both of us!) and obsviuosly... the pretty good sound!
rolleyes.gif

Yeah im almost 100% set on buying the Shures, i've read a lot of good stuff and since i've never gone past the 20$ mark i hope they will be a major improvement  =)

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 15
Sorry for shamelessly bumping this thread but i have another question.

I haven't really looked into full sized headphones because i would be using the mostly on my cellphone and on my laptop and some of them that i've tried, the volume is really low even when maxed. I really have no idea how impedance or whatever it is called works so that's why i looked for IEMs first since i would be using them mostly on my laptop and cellphone.

Would anyone care to explain to me how that works please? Thanks in advance.

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 15
I am by no means very educated on this. But basically, what you are experiencing the fact that iems usually have much less ohms and more sensitivty, lets say we compaire se215's (16-32 ohms right guys?) with some Beyerdynamic 80 ohms, with the ohms which lower the current, they will be much less loud that the IEMs which have a higher ohm+sensitivity, this is a quick answer, someone else will probably answer this better. Also, Maybe consider HF5's? Might be kinda dangerous though...

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Sorry for shamelessly bumping this thread but i have another question.

I haven't really looked into full sized headphones because i would be using the mostly on my cellphone and on my laptop and some of them that i've tried, the volume is really low even when maxed. I really have no idea how impedance or whatever it is called works so that's why i looked for IEMs first since i would be using them mostly on my laptop and cellphone.

Would anyone care to explain to me how that works please? Thanks in advance.

Impedance is basically how much resistance the headphones put in the circuit. It's not always linked to volume directly, but high-impedance headphones tend to benefit from amping (which inputs more power). Most IEMs and DJ-style and portable headphones will go to decent volumes and sound fine out of a phone or laptop, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back