Looking for my first guitar.
Nov 27, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it would depend on the condition and age. A brand new one can be had from Musiciansfriend.com for $299.

Takamine GS 330 S Acoustic Guitar
looks like good condition to me... what do u think?

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That does look nice. If he is local to you, see if you can arange to look at it in person. $200 sounds like a deal to me.

yup its local. im gonna check it out in person. $100 off retail sounds pretty good to me if its in good condition hehe

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #36 of 55
I will be checking it out on Saturday. He is throwing in a RoadRunner thick soft case with it as well. Can't wait!

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #37 of 55
sweet deal if he is also throwing in the gig bag!

As far as double cutaways for an acoustic, I haven't seen any, but I belive it could be possible to find one similar to either a Gretsch or maybe an Ibanez in the Artcore style. Also since both the Gretsch and the artcore are full hollowbodies, they sound good unplugged. I know that I often play my Gretsch Black Falcoln double cutaway without plugging it in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #38 of 55
How does the hollow body change the sound when it IS plugged in? Obviously the pickups only detect vibration from the strings so it would not change the sound all that much. It would slightly change the way the strings vibrate though.

Ive played one once but i didnt really play it for long enough to get a feel. it was nice tho

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #39 of 55
WOW I can't believe what a great deal I scored! Here are pics:

P1050215.jpg

P1050216.jpg

P1050211.jpg

P1050212.jpg

P1050213.jpg

P1050214.jpg

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the hollow body change the sound when it IS plugged in? Obviously the pickups only detect vibration from the strings so it would not change the sound all that much.

My Yamaha L Series has a mike pickup inside the body as well as a pickup in the saddle. You can adjust the balance between the two to create a more "acoustic" sound.

See ya
Steve

Dec 2, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #42 of 55
Congrats Slacker! Harmony Central can't say enough good things about your guitar, I found a review that sounds right on the money!

Product: Takamine GS-330S
Price Paid: USD 200
Submitted 12/20/2006 at 09:47pm by beb0p

Features
help-small.jpg
:
Cedar-Top (more on this later). No pickguard. Decent tuners.

Sound
help-small.jpg
:
One word - Wow. A friend wanted to learn guitar and I was helping him pick one out in Guitar Center. I was showing him the difference in sound between a $149 beginner guitar versus the more expensive ones. I played the Martin, Gibson, the higher end Takamine, and middle of the road Ibanzez, etc. Then I picked up the Takamine GS330S, listed at $220 used. I said to him, "You probably won't hear much of a difference between this one and the cheap beginner..." Then I strummed a few chords... and stopped. I checked the price tag again. Puzzled, I continued playing while my friend said, "It DOESN'T sound bad at all!" Not bad? It sounds better than the $500+ and $800+ Ibanez, Epiphone, Takamine, etc guitars that I tried. Is it better than the $2000 Martin? No. But it's close. And for a $200 guitar, That's damn amazing. The cedar-top gives it a strong and loud sound like all cedar-top does. But what makes it so good is the clarity. Cedar-top is strong but it's not clear, that's the rule. Even the most expensive cedar-top does not have the same clarity as an equally expensive spruce top. But the trick is, cedar can get away with the clarity issue by being fierce and loud... provided the clarity does not entirely get lost in the resonance. Which is exactly what the GS330S can do. It creates a wall of sound with enough clarity to sent chills down your spine or wraps the sound around you like a blanket. Wow. Needless to say, I bought the GS330S.

Dec 2, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #43 of 55
Thanks Jahn. I read all of those reviews and they made me confident that I was making the right choice. I only strummed it once before handing over the money because it sounds so sweet. Now I just gotta buy a few things and start rocking. I played it today for probably a good hour if not more on and off and I love it.

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the same boat as you MrSlacker. Except I've got my heart set on a Schecter. Probably a C-1 Blackjack or S-1 Elite.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck with the future guitar playing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks man! Man this is so much fun! guitars > headphones
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back