Looking for my first guitar.
Nov 1, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #16 of 55
Looks good, Ingo... The sub-$500 category is booming with good acoustics like those.
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks good, Ingo... The sub-$500 category is booming with good acoustics like those.
biggrin.gif

I had no idea. I used to think that you could get good tone out of an electric for cheaper than an acoustic, but I don't think so anymore.

I have an early 80's Jap. Strat. with a stationary Khaler bridge and EMG golds that sounds magnificient. Still, it won't compete with a nicely set-up older American Strat (for pure Strat. tone).

My stepmoms D-15 Custom Spruce is an excellent sounding guitar. For years I thought that I wouldn't be satisfied with anything below that level, but I like the tone of my Takamine just as much as I like hers. There's a still a little jealousy that she has Martin written on hers, though.

Nov 1, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an early 80's Jap. Strat. with a stationary Khaler bridge and EMG golds that sounds magnificient. Still, it won't compete with a nicely set-up older American Strat (for pure Strat. tone).

Kahler bridge and EMG 85s? That's about as far from typical Strat tone as you can get! One of my previous guitar instructors had a handful of mid-'80s Jackson Soloists, all with Kahler tremelos (Floyd Rose-type, though) and EMG 85s, and they were killer shredding guitars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
My stepmoms D-15 Custom Spruce is an excellent sounding guitar. For years I thought that I wouldn't be satisfied with anything below that level, but I like the tone of my Takamine just as much as I like hers. There's a still a little jealousy that she has Martin written on hers, though.

Expensive guitars are like expensive audio equipment in that way. The higher you go, the more subtle the differences become. When you play your Takamine, ask yourself how much better a $7,500 Taylor would be. 19 times better? Probably not.
evil_smiley.gif

When I was shopping around for a classical guitar, I had figured that $2,500 would be the minimum for a decent guitar. I spent a few months playing guitars here and there, including a $4,000+ Hauser model, and while it was my favorite of the guitars I'd tried until then, it just didn't sound like me. My guitar instructor had a distributor friend who had found a new line of guitars from a team of luthiers in Mexico, so he paid to have a guitar shipped in order to see if it was worth recommending to his students. He gave me the first audition; I took the guitar to a practice room, and within a few minutes, I was sold. Final price, $500.
biggrin.gif

So x3 for those who have recommended that the OP play some guitars before deciding.

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Kahler bridge and EMG 85s? That's about as far from typical Strat tone as you can get! One of my previous guitar instructors had a handful of mid-'80s Jackson Soloists, all with Kahler tremelos (Floyd Rose-type, though) and EMG 85s, and they were killer shredding guitars.

No, no. I have EMG SA single coils. No humbuckers for me. And the Khaler is a stationary bridge not a tremelo bridge. The reason the Khaler is on there is because of it's adjustability. It's one of the tightest playing electric guitars I've ever played. Complex bending is a dream on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony
Expensive guitars are like expensive audio equipment in that way. The higher you go, the more subtle the differences become. When you play your Takamine, ask yourself how much better a $7,500 Taylor would be. 19 times better? Probably not.
evil_smiley.gif

Good call. That new Takamine I've got is like a KSC-75 equivalent. Since I'm more of a Martin guy we'll change the Taylor to a D-28 and call it equivalent to an Orpheus
icon10.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #20 of 55
yes I have to agree with all the statements above. and Ovation is definitely a good choice. Its a great starting guitar but the takamine that was posted above should be better, having played both

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #21 of 55
i say go acoustic, too. the seagulls are pretty good for the price. if you can find a made in japan takamine that's a nice budget guitar, too...probably have to be used, though.

for a beginner guitar make sure the action is light...your fingers will thank you and it will make all the difference.

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #22 of 55
Yamaha makes very nice acoustics in your price range.

See ya
Steve

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #23 of 55
I bought my daughter a Dean Acoustic/Electric this summer for her birthday on sale for under $300, with a Dean "Stack-in-a-box" headphone amp to use with it. She's getting a Roland Audio Cube amp (AC/DC powered digital effects) that was about $130 for Xmas. I bought myself a Squire Stratocaster by Fender for $130 (50% off if I bought the Dean) and then a Behringer amp for myself as well for about $80.

She gets to play with both more than I do... The Dean is our favorite.

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was in a very similar situation a few years back and decided to go electric. I knew that acoustic was a better learning platform, but I rationalized that the extra fun in playing around with amplification and sounds would help me retain interest in playing...I'd say it has definitely helped.

Electric action is much lighter, so it's "easier" to play. Going from acoustic to electric, the electric action feels like greased lightning. Going the other direction can be a bit of a rude awakening...nothing terrible, but you do build better hand/finger strength on an acoustic.

I'd say the decision ultimately depends on your goals with the instrument. If you're looking to really learn to play guitar the "right way", I think most would say acoustic first. If you're just looking for something fun to play around with, with no "serious" aspirations (which describes me), go electric...it's probably more fun out-of-the-box. At least that's what it's been for me.

My first electric is here:
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinfreewayclassicp.htm
I highly recommend this guitar to any beginner looking to get into a quality electric on the cheap. You will be hard-pressed to find a negative review on this guitar anywhere...I'd venture to say that it's the best guitar you can find at that price point. Yes, it's a little outside your price range, but not by much. You should be able to find one around $400-ish...less if you can find one used.

My first amp is here:
http://www.behringer.com/GM110/index.cfm?lang=eng
Again, hard-pressed to find a negative review on this amp anywhere. You should be able to find one around $100-ish...less if you really try. Check out some of the reviews here:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...110+Combo/10/1

Altogether, you should be able to get both the amp & guitar for $500-ish new. I think it's a tough combo to beat at the price point...truly.

Lastly, you can forego an amp altogether by patching directly into your PC and playing back through your speakers. I use an M-Audio DMP3 preamp between my guitar and my EMU 1212 to do just this with decent results. The EMU software bundle comes with a bunch of cool sounds...it's fun to play around with.

Hope it helps.

Peace,

Graz

Edited to include obligatory, self-serving pic:
16451544mr8.jpg

WOW nice prs!!! i would say the kind of guitar u should get depends a lot on how big your hands are. ive got small hands which means that i dont like to play on thick necks like on classical guitars. I use ibanez because of this. I love their wizard necks.

I am a bit of an ibanez nut so if i were you i would get a cheap ibanez. Only problem is that wouldnt leave much room for an amp
tongue.gif
cummon join team strats are boring
icon10.gif

btw it might just be me but i think electrics are easier to play than acoustics. just remember, a neck that suits you is the most important thing on a guitar (well thats what i find anyways)

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #25 of 55
Reminds me... Guitar gurus, are there any particular guitar makers that make wide-necked electric guitars (the actual fretboard width, not the profile)? I'm wondering if there are any electrics with near-classical string spacing.

Nov 4, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Reminds me... Guitar gurus, are there any particular guitar makers that make wide-necked electric guitars (the actual fretboard width, not the profile)? I'm wondering if there are any electrics with near-classical string spacing.

now why would anyone wanna do that... JOKE

i dont know of any electric guitar that will come close to a classical guitar although some brands have slightly wider necks than others. Ibanez have the thinnest necks ive tried. from my experience, fender necks are fatter but not necessarily much wider. maybe prs?

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #27 of 55
Nov 27, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup... I still didn't buy one lol. What do you guys think of this package?Fender DG-8S Acoustic Guitar Value Pack and more Value Package Acoustic Guitars at GuitarCenter.com. or this one Yamaha GigMaker Deluxe Acoustic Guitar Pack and more Value Package Acoustic Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

They are pretty cheap and seem to come with everything I need. Do you think I could start playing with those? I am not looking to become a pro. Just want to learn a little

Between the two packages I would get the Fender. The only reason I would even discern between the two is because I've seen that guitar teacher that is featured on the Fender video before and I like his method.

Really, if you think you're actually going to put some time into learning to play then I would spring for a nicer guitar. Something like the Fender or the Yamaha can get you started, but if you're going to continue to play on a regular basis you're going to want something with a nice action and better tone.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #29 of 55
I'm also looking to add an acoustic. Right now, I'm trying to decide between the Takamine GS330S cedar top like your's, Ingo, or for an additional $100, getting the spruce top G360SG. But then I also saw a nice looking Washburn D305 for the same price as the GS330S. :/ I haven't been able to compare the sound of either of these yet, but what I hear is that the Takamine has absolutely beautiful tone for the price.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also looking to add an acoustic. Right now, I'm trying to decide between the Takamine GS330S cedar top like your's, Ingo, or for an additional $100, getting the spruce top G360SG. But then I also saw a nice looking Washburn D305 for the same price as the GS330S. :/ I haven't been able to compare the sound of either of these yet, but what I hear is that the Takamine has absolutely beautiful tone for the price.

Is used Takamine GS330S a good deal for $200? Seems like there is a nice one on my local craigslist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back