Looking for my first (decent) DAC/Amp for full time desktop use
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

yerodtr

New Head-Fier
Hello -- I posted a related thread over here regarding the headphones that will be used with this DAC/Amp:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650269/looking-for-first-good-pair-of-headphones

I work from home and am looking for a DAC/Amp to hook up to my Mac Mini (latest, 2012) that will be used for many hours each day. So far I am looking at the Fiio E17.

Portability is not a big deal. I might use it in a portable fashion once a year or something, but mostly it will stay parked on my desk. Is the E17 a good fit for something that will be on all the time and used a lot? Also, is it a good amp to pair with either the Shure SRH440 or Audio Technica ATH-M50 (or whatever else might be recommended in the other thread)?

Am I potentially over buying for my needs, like the E7 might be a better fit?

I'd like to keep the purchase in the $100 range.

Thanks for the help!

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 3
Well in my looking around I came across the Magni/Modi combo.

I ended up getting the Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones, so with those, would there be an appreciable difference between the E17 and the Magni/Modi?

Thanks!

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 3
The magni/modi combo is quite a good entry level stack. The e17 is a great little portable amp/DAC and supports 24/96khz which is what the modi supports. I love the modi and use it for my desk top DAC. I would highly recommend the mangi but it isn't necessary for your m50's those will be just fine with an e17. But for a future headphone purchase that requires more power the magni would be great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back