Looking for my first CIEMs

What Custom in Ear Monitors should i go for?

• Camp Audio Solstice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UE live

• UE 11+

• UE Reference Remastered

• Total voters
May 29, 2021 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Blackjackx1031

New Head-Fier
Hey im looking into getting my first CIEMs. Already got my ears 3d scanned and just now want some opinions on what i should get. My current set up is ZMF Aeolus w/ Monoprice monolith and portable (yes i have used aeolus out and about) fiio q5s w AM3DTHX module. I would personally like to just use my iphone as the dap with the ciems but if thats not possible ill probably sell my q5s for a dap. The past headphones and amp/dacs that i have had are the phillips fidelio x2, Sennheiser hd660s and the mayflower arc.

Budget is around 1500 but will go a little higher due to the sales right now.

The current CIEMS im looking at so far are the Camp Audio Solstice, Craftear Craft 6, and the Ue reference. Open to others especially the other UE seeing as they are on sale due to memorial weekend. Music wise i listen to alot of kpop, jpop, post hardcore, pop, pop rock, orchestral, etc. I am a huge fan of vocals so thats probably the thing i want most is incredible vocals.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 17
Empire Ears have just started accepting .stl files as do 64 audio if you want a couple more home grown options.

May 29, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 17
Hey im looking into getting my first CIEMs.
I have only tried one brand for CIEMs called Custom Art (Polish brand), but have had three models from them, introductionary Music One, mid-tier Ei.XX, and TOTL Harmony 8.2. Working with Piotr from Custom Art has been a pleasure. I had even met him at CanJam in London. Since then, I have moved away from CIEMs, but can only recommend you to check out their braind. Price wise, it would be within your budget.

May 29, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 17
Another vote for The Custom Art. I only have experience with their universals but plan to get customs at some point.

May 30, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 17
Yep nothing but good things to say about Custom Art. They also accept scans.

May 31, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #9 of 17
I’m a big fan of Vision Ears VE8 but they may be a bit too expensive I assume.
On the other hand I’d also recommend to try before you buy with custom as the resale value is terrible often times.

May 31, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #10 of 17
Hey im looking into getting my first CIEMs. Already got my ears 3d scanned and just now want some opinions on what i should get. My current set up is ZMF Aeolus w/ Monoprice monolith and portable (yes i have used aeolus out and about) fiio q5s w AM3DTHX module. I would personally like to just use my iphone as the dap with the ciems but if thats not possible ill probably sell my q5s for a dap. The past headphones and amp/dacs that i have had are the phillips fidelio x2, Sennheiser hd660s and the mayflower arc.

Budget is around 1500 but will go a little higher due to the sales right now.

The current CIEMS im looking at so far are the Camp Audio Solstice, Craftear Craft 6, and the Ue reference. Open to others especially the other UE seeing as they are on sale due to memorial weekend. Music wise i listen to alot of kpop, jpop, post hardcore, pop, pop rock, orchestral, etc. I am a huge fan of vocals so thats probably the thing i want most is incredible vocals.
FIBAE 7 is a good all-rounder. Well-suited for anyone's first custom I think
Another all-rounder, albeit with a more neutral reference tuning, is the newer Vision Ears VE7. You can check Deezel's first impression: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vis...ormerly-compact-monitors.682142/post-16359570
VE5 is a good option as well, and for a lesser price too. Its main specialty is its sweet warm organic vocals' sound

May 31, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 17
I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Craft Ears. I have the CraftFOUR model, but I can only imagine that the Six is on another level.

May 31, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 17
I've communicated with Piotr at Craft Ears and he's very responsive, very open. I I was going to get a Fibae6 CIEM using my digital scans but have held off for now as debating getting another headphone instead.

Another you might consider that I like a lot is PEARS3, who also accepts digital impressions. It only has 3 BA drivers, which will seem expensive for that # of drivers. But it sounds very good. I've found the mids more accurate for brass instruments than my Westone ES5 CIEM or ThieAudio Monarchs CIEM (right now ThieAudio not doing CIEMs). The Monarchs are better for large orchestral because of the sub-bass, but I'd say the PEARS3 better for jazz and chamber music. (To be fair to Westone, which I rank last, that CIEM is around 10 years old and I had to reshell them with a local third party after one side cracked, which may have thrown off the sound, given most companies target specific lengths to the bores to control resonances and FQ response.)

Jun 1, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #15 of 17
Was wondering why no JH in this thread, aren't they as popular as they used to? Or are there now more great brands to pick from?
I've noticed that too, not just this thread but overall in Head-fi. 15 years ago they were THE CIEM, recommended by Stereophile, Absolute Sound etc. I never got one as too expensive and they also didn't do MMCX. I think it's mostly fewer players then--Westone, JH Audio, Sensophonics--all servicing tour musicians and audiophiles. Now many players focused on audiophiles and mass market, not just professionals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back