Looking for my first amp... under $300
Nov 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

guitarman19853

100+ Head-Fier
Any suggestions? I have no idea where to start. The reviews are plenty but with so many choices and only buying one amp... its tough.

I want more bass from my ipod so a bass boost would be a plus but not a necessity. A DAC would also be used if it had it since i listen through my laptop at work.

One's I've considered:
iBasso P3 and D2
C&C XO - but it's out of stock so that doesn't help me.
Meier Audio 3MOVE
Leckerton Audio UHA-3
Practical Devices XM5 - except I'd probably want the upgraded buffers which takes the price to $333.

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm surprised because there are a handful of amps available for under $300, under $200 even such as the ones I've listed. Yes, yes, I know that spending an extra $75 to get something like an RSA P-51 would be the *best* choice but I'd like to not spend over $300.

Actually I just bought another guitar last night... So that pretty much means I'm not going to buy a headphone amp yet. But I would really appreciate any more responses for the (near?) future when I look for an amp again.

On an audio related note (though, the guitar is audio related...), I did pick up a new 120GB iPod and Rockbox'd my old 80GB iPod. I like the features of rockbox... but I like the ease of use of the iPod interface.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 8
Always keep in mind that the 3Move is a really great bargain. It's the physically improved version of the 2Move that I owned and I can tell you that the 2Move's bass quality, as in tightness and impact, won't disappoint you if that's what you're looking for.

I also got much better results when using it with a LOD out of my iPod Touch than with the 2Move's integrated DAC though. The latter, imo, was kind of a letdown in direct comparison to the iPod DAC as in sounding thinner and less transparent.

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 8
Well my wallet is looking at me like
confused_face(1).gif
because its now empty.

I bought a 3MOVE and the LOD that is offered on Meier Audio. I also bought a pair of Audio Technica AD700's
atsmile.gif
(Though I realized afterwards that these don't have a lot of bass from reviews).

And after all of that I may need to buy a good (but under $200) pair of closed can headphones because I brought my SR-60's to work today and they leaked alot of sound. Normally I use my KSC-75's or iGrado's because they look somewhat less dorky than sitting here with a massive pair of cans on my head... but then again I am in IT.

So I may be in the market for a closed can for work. I don't want to use IEM's because I like to be able to hear when someone is trying to talk to me. Plus the closed cans will give me that bass I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back