Looking for my first amp. Please Help me
Nov 12, 2002 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mberlin74

New Head-Fier
I've been looking at different headphone amps and am at a loss. I have a pair of V6's and am trying to find the best pair for them. Does it matter what type of amp I get? It was suggested by someone at DJMart that I get one of these three amps

1) Rane HC4 Headphone Console $218.95

2)Rane HC6 Headphone amplifier $378.95

3)Rane MH4 Stereo Headphone Console $218.95

I know nothing about these brands but I was not thinking that amps would cost this much. Can anyone offer me some good information about different amps that wont break the bank.

Thanks
confused.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 3
first let me apologize for not having a direct answer to your questions.

but, since i too am a relative newb, allow me to suggest a thread or two on the topic of amps in general, such as those that you could possibly build yourself or have someone build for you:

Finding An Inexpensive Amp (much talk about the infamous META42...of which i have recently ordered one myself...)

and DarkWolf's thread which started to get ppl talking about the Corda (and its modification to a Corda "Blue")

i hope someone is better able to discuss the specific amps you are asking about. gluck!!

Nov 12, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 3
The Rane series of headphone amps are rack mount, multiple user types. They look to be the standard 19" wide rack mount type, so they are also quite large. The HC4 accepts 4 headphones, the HC6 accepts 6 headphones. They are all on individual circuits and independently controllable. These are NOT high grade hi-fi stuff!! Unless you have a specific need to hook-up 4-6 headphones at a time, I would recommend going elsewhere to look.

Also, you said the $200+ is more than you thought a headamp would cost, watch out!! $200 is pretty cheap unless you have someone here build you a really good amp.

I own a Creek OBH-11, which is a solid state amp. (Uses transistors not tubes) and a sonic Adventure Reality wich is a hybrid amp that uses tubes for the input and MOSFETs for the output.

Let us know what you want to spend, what you listen to music wise, and what else you will have in your system (CD player, headphones, etc.) and we'll try and point you in the right direction.

OBTW, welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about the wallet!!! (Standard greeting here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back