Looking for music suggestions
Jun 14, 2004 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DLP

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm pretty much looking for anything that's kinda like Radiohead, Elbow, Homesick for Space, and/or Coldplay, or all together. Kinda personal music, not very big rock sound, sometimes laid back sometimes energetic, anyone who's heard these have a good idea of what it is. I'm not really looking for anyone political or who have a message, those kinds of bands kinda get caught up in one idea and don't get very interesting is my experience.
I realize this kind of music has probably been covered a lot, but there are a couple reasons I see for a new thread. One is the fact that the search engine is down, and we're still not sure when it'll be back up or how long it'll be up for. Two is the fact that most people keep discovering new music all the time, and to search for past suggestions that do not take into account for newer music found within the last day/week/month/year, depending how long ago that thread might've existed.
Thanks in advanced!

Jun 14, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 6
Doves -- Try Lost Sides
Starsailor's first album, Silence is Easy is pretty good.

Not familiar with Homesick For Space, what're they like?

You can also look them up on AMG, and track down some of the "similar artists". I'll get you started with a couple of comments of my own:

If you like Radiohead, then you might like Sigur Rós (yes, that's a good one, either album is excellent), Pulp (? early Radiohead, maybe), Spiritualized (yes, definitely, especially their latest album, Amazing Grace), The Flaming Lips (no, not from what you descirbed), Elbow (see, they're already making your own connection)

Homesick For Space yields, among other things, Elliott -- yeah, their last album, Song in the Air might be worth trying, but their earlier albums are more "indie", and don't necessarily follow your description of what you seek.

Which makes me think of Phaser, Sway -- just a tremendous album.

Which makes me think of Ilya, Poise is the Greater Architect. I'll see whut else I can come up with, I actually listen to a lot of this stuff.

Oh, do you like Calexico?

Oh, and on the more synthetic (and gauzy) side, Haou, Wiser and M83, Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts are pure auralgasmic bliss.

Jun 14, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 6
check out the following :

AUTUMNBLAZE - Bleak

"Autumnblaze play emotional, guitar-oriented (somewhat "modern rock" -influenced) rock music with alternating harsh and quiet moments and predominantly clean vocals. Bleak is an album that will take you to a gloomier world.

Recommended for Radiohead, Porcupine Tree & Paragon of Beauty fans."

SOLAR - Dark Places

"Solar is the new side-project of the Arena main man, Rob Sowden. But it's something completely different. "Dark Places" is a perfect sinergy between the music and image, while soundwise we can compare them with Darkness, Radiohead, Mogway, Tortoise, Gwei-Lo and Muse. The album was produced by John Mitchell (Arena, John Wetton, The Urbane) aand mastered by Rob Aubrey (IQ, Threshold). Rob Sowden is a powerful and emotional singer, with a shot to fame with his main band Arena."

EYES OF FIRE - Ashes To Embers

"Long awaited debut full-length release from Eyes of Fire featuring ex-Mindrot members. Eyes of Fire breaks down the barriers of conventional music by incorporating monstrous pounding, tribal and atmospheric sounds into their heavy guitar driven assault. Mixing everything from Hardcore to mellow Radiohead psychedelic sound. Highly recommended"

You can buy them all from here :

http://shopping.theendrecords.com/

Jun 14, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 6
I second the Doves album. Though I believe it's called "Lost Souls."

In fact, I think I'll listen to it now
smily_headphones1.gif

You might also want to check out a band called "Ours."

Jun 17, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
Doves -- Try Lost Sides
Starsailor's first album, Silence is Easy is pretty good.

Not familiar with Homesick For Space, what're they like?

You can also look them up on AMG, and track down some of the "similar artists". I'll get you started with a couple of comments of my own:

If you like Radiohead, then you might like Sigur Rós (yes, that's a good one, either album is excellent), Pulp (? early Radiohead, maybe), Spiritualized (yes, definitely, especially their latest album, Amazing Grace), The Flaming Lips (no, not from what you descirbed), Elbow (see, they're already making your own connection)

Homesick For Space yields, among other things, Elliott -- yeah, their last album, Song in the Air might be worth trying, but their earlier albums are more "indie", and don't necessarily follow your description of what you seek.

Which makes me think of Phaser, Sway -- just a tremendous album.

Which makes me think of Ilya, Poise is the Greater Architect. I'll see whut else I can come up with, I actually listen to a lot of this stuff.

Oh, do you like Calexico?

Oh, and on the more synthetic (and gauzy) side, Haou, Wiser and M83, Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts are pure auralgasmic bliss.

VERY VERY GOOD.

Homesick for Space are kinda Sigur Ros-tic, they play space rocks.

Well, try Keane - Hope and Fears as well, they have been called the next Coldplay, and are well better than that tag.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mum might just be up your alley too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back