Looking for more bass than my Ultrasone HFI-580's
Nov 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

iLIKEonions

New Head-Fier
Before we get started, I am not saying the HFI-580's doesn't have any bass, they do, however I'm just looking for more bass. I love the HFI-580's bass quality but not so much in the quantity department. I guess you can consider me a basshead.

As for a budget, I would like to keep it around $150ish and they should be easily driven since I do not own an amp yet.

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 10
hum, for 150$, the best choice for bass was already hfi580 imo.

You can try xb700...but otherwise, i think you must increase your budget.

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
PRO900 is probably your choice

D5000 (closed) /pro2900 (open)/ pro900 (closed)... all are very good, even excellent with bass.

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 10
yeah i've looked into the PRO900 and they're a bit out of my budget. Plus I would have have to get an amp for them.

I know this has probably been asked several times, but how do the XB500's compare to the XB700's?

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Plus the headphones in question would benefit from some form of exquisite amplification.

There I fixed it and in my head you have a British accent
biggrin.gif
Ive only heard the XB500 and that was only for like 2min so I cant help you there.

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 10
I far preferred the XB500s to the XB700s. I owned and loved my XB500s for a year. I owned the XB700s for just over a week. The XB500s have far punchier bass, and although it doesn't extend as deeply as the XB700s. The XB700s on the other hand, I find to be very slow, and lacking in bass detail/texture. I would equate the bass of the XB700s to an "ocean" of bass, vast expanses of it but under the music, and not particularly engaging/evident. The vocals are kind of off as well. There is an unnatural quality about them that I can't yet think of a reason for. It's almost as if the male voice has large amounts of reverb. The XB500s in comparison sound very direct and clean, as well as each note in its self being more apparent due to the better transient response. In terms of overall detail, the XB700s win, but would only be apparent if you directly compared the two.

Lastly, the XB700s are huge as hell and aren't very comfortable to wear, whereas I could wear the XB500s for hours.

Hope this helped, iLIKEonions.

Dec 5, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #10 of 10
You know, to each his own, but I amazed at the reccomendations on these forums of the XB500 over the XB700.

I suspect the only reason why the XB500 has so many followers is because of bass quantity, which is nice, but its so anti-audiophile because its contrived and fake and not even remotely realistic. You hear so much BOOM BOOM and THUMP THUMP and a sound signature like that is only suitable for pop music particularly new school hip hop.

If you're trying to listen to anything else, the XB700 is so much better. It still has a bass that does impede the other frequencies (but you can see the frequency response graphs for yourself so obviously that's the case) but it doesn't have an overwhelming boom boom it just has a rumble underneath. There's significantly more clarity, as well as a bigger sound stage, and I feel that the XB700 strikes an ideal balance between favoring bass while still staying true to what the song was intended to sound like.

I did not have the XB500 long enough to see how it sounded like after burn-in, but its just too muddy, and the bass impact is just way too strong.

I would recommend the XB700 9 times out of 10 over the XB500.

The XB500s in comparison sound very direct and clean, as well as each note in its self being more apparent due to the better transient response.

Dont agree at all. Clean is the last thing I would call the XB500

I would equate the bass of the XB700s to an "ocean" of bass, vast expanses of it but under the music, and not particularly engaging/evident

Sort of true. The basslines are indeed always there UNDER the music. But this is better than the XB500 because in the XB500 there are vast expanses of bass OVER the music. Not basslines - the THUMP of the kick drum just will muffle everything else.

I find to be very slow, and lacking in bass detail/texture

I can't really say anything about it being slow because I don't really notice anything like that. But again I disagree a lot with bass detail / texture. Like I said before detail is the last word I would associate with the XB500 in any way shape or form

Users who are viewing this thread

Back