Looking for moderately price IEM: neutral with good isolation
Nov 10, 2022 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

verber

100+ Head-Fier
When traveling I have really appreciated using a pair of sound isolating IEM. In the 1990s I got started with
a pair of etymotic ep4. At the time they were amazing. Neutral if not analytical sound that was provided great isolation. The only problem was that they became uncomfortable on trans-continental flights. In 2012 I got a great deal on a pair of Westone ES 5 with customer ear molds which have been great. Fairly neutral, but warmer in the mids and better bass extension. Alas, my ear canals has changed shape and they don't seal as well as they used to. I believe I have two options.
  • Get the ES-5 re-shelled. It's not clear from Westone's website how much this will cost. Anyone know what this will likely be? I am expected a few hundred dollars.
  • Find a decent universal fit, sound isolating IEM which is competitive to the ES5 which is <= the price of reshelling the ES-5. Does this exist?

For what it's worth, the over the ear headphones I most enjoy as of 10 years ago where Sennheiser HD800/Headamp GS-X mk2, Stax SR-007mk1/KGSSHV, and Stax SR-009/BH.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 3
Nov 10, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 3
When traveling I have really appreciated using a pair of sound isolating IEM. In the 1990s I got started with
a pair of etymotic ep4. At the time they were amazing. Neutral if not analytical sound that was provided great isolation. The only problem was that they became uncomfortable on trans-continental flights. In 2012 I got a great deal on a pair of Westone ES 5 with customer ear molds which have been great. Fairly neutral, but warmer in the mids and better bass extension. Alas, my ear canals has changed shape and they don't seal as well as they used to. I believe I have two options.
  • Get the ES-5 re-shelled. It's not clear from Westone's website how much this will cost. Anyone know what this will likely be? I am expected a few hundred dollars.
  • Find a decent universal fit, sound isolating IEM which is competitive to the ES5 which is <= the price of reshelling the ES-5. Does this exist?

For what it's worth, the over the ear headphones I most enjoy as of 10 years ago where Sennheiser HD800/Headamp GS-X mk2, Stax SR-007mk1/KGSSHV, and Stax SR-009/BH.

Thanks,
Mark
As a old westone fan, and I see you use KEF at home, Softears RSV may play a good role for noise isolation and warm-neutral referencing. Treble are not HD800/stax’s SR007 level detailed, but as an IEM, it’s very good. Price is around $730.

If you like details, not like SR007’s active electrostatic drivers, but rather passive electret ones you can find from other old STAX’s, moondrop’s Variations plays a good somewhat sub-bass elevated harman style tuned with passive electret drivers placed inside the IEM. Price is around $500.

Most of IEMs are evaluated with level of details it can produce or how much bass it slums, the mid range get less attention, and if you value mid than other two ends, zenns mangird tea does a good job, around $250. I’d find Westone essence in Tea.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back