Looking for mixing/working headphones around $100
Dec 14, 2021 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jason41987

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for some recording/mixing headphones around the $100 price point. I am looking for closed backs with good isolation, neutral frequency response, good build quality / easily repairable/moddable, preferably higher than 32ohms (since 32ohm headphones tend to go from silent to ear rape in under an eighth turn on my amp) though I don't think I could drive anything over 250. I am looking around the $100 price point. Primary uses will be for mixing audio, editing audio, and monitoring. And I have a large head, and wear eyeglasses, so I prefer deep, soft cups and low clamp. Comfortable enough to wear several hours a day is a must. And I believe I would actually prefer a fixed cable, believe it or not.

So...

$100 (or less if there's a good product under $100)
Isolation / Closed backs
Neutral, not bass boosted, V, or Harman
Good detail
Low clamp / large head
Repairable
Higher impedance
All-day comfortable

Dec 14, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 14
Portability isn't important at all.

How neutral are DT770s? Compared to the more standard headphones for this task like HD280 and MDR7506, or even others like the M40X, or MT5s?

Dec 14, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 14
For neutral: DT880 250ohm.

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 14
There are a few things I do like about the MDR7506 over the HD280, and that's that it looks more easily repairable. Easier to open up to get to the wiring, easier to do a cable replacement, to repair the band, change padding on the band, etc. But the long term comfort is of concern. The pads don't look particularly comfortable, and others are saying they have a lot of clamp. Do these lose their neutrality with a pad upgrade and can can the clamping forces be easily reduces? And if I have to mod these for comfort, that is an additional $25 which puts me about $15 off of DT770s which do not have to be modded for comfort.

In what categories are the DT770s (80 or 250ohm) better than the MDR7506?

Dec 14, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 14
And does the MDR7506 do anything better than the 770s? Also, MDRV6 is discontinued, new ones are up to close to $300 now. I don't think they're worth it at that price point.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 14
And does the MDR7506 do anything better than the 770s? Also, MDRV6 is discontinued, new ones are up to close to $300 now. I don't think they're worth it at that price point.

More intimate mids (good for 1-3 instruments, but not more than) and more detailed vocals. Other than that, the DT770 is better overall.

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #12 of 14
It would also seem at some point in the not-so-distant past, Sony began putting the same drivers into both. So the new MDRV6 probably wouldn't be much different than the MDR7506 anyway. I was going to order the MDR7506, but I really think I am going to have a problem with comfort with them... I spent extra for the DT770 Pro 80ohm. I ordered it off Amazon so I can return them if they're not exactly what I want.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #13 of 14
So, I got the DT770s in the mail today and I am trying out now. My first impressions... I really thought the cups were larger. The pads go over my earlobes. While most headphones I have with oval pads may be just a tad shorter front to back, they're a lot taller top to bottom and IMO a much better fit. I'm not sure how to feel about that. I'm not sure if that's going to cause a problem with seal or will have a negative impact on long-term comfort. I do wish they had a bit more room underneath.

One observation I made though, 80ohms on my interface. It seems to be perfect in terms of volume control. I can get fairly loud, but still comfortable volume at 12:00, and if I am listening to a particularly quiet source, I have a little room left, but I'm not going from 0 to ear rape in an eighth turn anymore. I think 150ohms would get me the full range of the volume knob, and anything about 150 (250s for example) is where I'd be needing an external headphone amp.

As for the sound. Why do I get the impression the mids are missing? My voice peaks around 200-300hz, most say it's rather deep sounding, but it sounds flat through these so I am not sure it's a very accurate representation of how I sound. So I tried them for music. I mostly listen to metal of all genres, and same thing... vocals and about the bottom half of electric guitar seemed missing as well. Details are way better than anything I had before, as I am hearing parts to the music that simply didn't exist to me before. Certain tones and notes that got lost in the mix before. I'm really not sure what to think about the sound... it's confusing.

Hmm, I am not sure where to go from here. Return and buy something else? Mods? Accept how they sound and get used to it?... Maybe EQ?

EDIT

So, I found a GitHub for AutoEQ. I Already use Equalizer APO for other stuff, so I decided I'd find one of their DT770 Pro 80 profiles to try out. I found a couple, compared them, but I found the one in the Crinacle folder that really did a damn good job at balancing these out. With these EQ settings, IMO they're worth the $150 I paid. Without it, I'd probably return them. Now, I think I'll probably keep them.

Something I noticed using these more, soundstage. It's not as good as my open backs by any stretch. However, the soundstage is good enough for closed backs that it doesn't make me feel like I have to put my open backs back on for enjoyable soundstage. I think these hit a perfect balance of soundstage and isolation. My voice sounds what I'd consider to sound normal through them now, and music sounds good too. I think over all, these are an all around upgrade over everything else I owned prior in almost every category.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #14 of 14
Trying out some different pads I had, I found the velour ones that were on my SHP9500s did a lot of positives. IMO, it tuned up the bass and treble in a way that seems to boost the mids significantly, I like it a lot now without EQ. It sounds a lot more neutral now to me. The penalty for it is I lost SOME isolation and there's more leak now, but not significant enough to not be worth the positives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back