Looking for midrange forward DAC/Amp around $200
Jun 4, 2017 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dakanao

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm looking for a smooth sounding DAC/Amp combo, with a midrange forward signature (with USB connection).

Buying used is no problem at all.

Jun 4, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 13
Can not think of one that I have heard others say that is mid forward. Most companies try to go for the neutral sound in their amps and dacs but is not always the case though. I would think the headphones would matter here more than a amp/dac to achieve mid forward sound.

Jun 4, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 13
So I'm looking for a smooth sounding DAC/Amp combo, with a midrange forward signature (with USB connection).

I believe Buke9 has it right, the headphones are have more influence on having a forward mid-range (vocals?), then the DAC/amp.
What headphones do you have?
Is the audio more for music or gaming or movies?
Id this more for desktop use or portable or other?

Jun 4, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 13
I believe Buke9 has it right, the headphones are have more influence on having a forward mid-range (vocals?), then the DAC/amp.
What headphones do you have?
Is the audio more for music or gaming or movies?
Id this more for desktop use or portable or other?
I have the Fostex TH500RP w/ Denon Dx000 earpads right now. I also have the Beyerdynamic DT 150 + DT 100 velour earpads.

If I could get an easy seal with the DT 150, they would be my endgame, since they have the most forward vocals of any headphone I tried.

But I do get a very easy seal with the TH500RP, the problem is that the vocals are not as detailed/upfront as the DT 150.

I use them for surfing the web, high quality MP3/M4A files, and gaming with Dolby Headphone on the xbox 360.

Jun 5, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 13
I have the Fostex TH500RP w/ Denon Dx000 earpads right now. I also have the Beyerdynamic DT 150 + DT 100 velour earpads.

If I could get an easy seal with the DT 150, they would be my endgame, since they have the most forward vocals of any headphone I tried.

But I do get a very easy seal with the TH500RP, the problem is that the vocals are not as detailed/upfront as the DT 150.

I use them for surfing the web, high quality MP3/M4A files, and gaming with Dolby Headphone on the xbox 360.
How are you getting Dolby Headphone from the Xbox 360?

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 13
Maybe the newer Creative Labs USB sound cards.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 13

Amps and DACs by design are as neutral as possible. While many sound smooth, you won't find one that is specifically mid-centric. While you can shape the sound signature with op-amps and tubes, the effects are subtle. Your best bet would be to either find a headphone that is to your liking, or use software to shape the sound to your desire.

:beerchug:

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #10 of 13
Amps and DACs by design are as neutral as possible. While many sound smooth, you won't find one that is specifically mid-centric. While you can shape the sound signature with op-amps and tubes, the effects are subtle. Your best bet would be to either find a headphone that is to your liking, or use software to shape the sound to your desire.

:beerchug:
Can you guys recommend me a mid-forward headphone around the $300 price range (buying used is no problem at all)?

Jun 8, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 13
AKG K240 sextetts,but not easy to drive.
Can you guys recommend me a mid-forward headphone around the $300 price range (buying used is no problem at all)?

Jun 10, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 13
I am afraid the other guys are right. The dacs will never give you the impression of a more foward midrange anywhere close to what a headphone swap will do. I own the D-150s and they are exactly like you say. Midrange forward and great for details in that range. No dacs cast an illusion of big midrange shift that could compete with headphones. Other headphones that have the type of sound the d-150s have are the Sony MDR-7520. They are hella close but do not go deep like the dt-150s rather they like a bit of a warm bump in the low end then rolloff just like a Senn 650. Another middish centric can is the Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime perhaps.

Others are mid centric in a different part of the range to emphasize like the Senn 650s or Focal elears.

Good luck with the dac search as well.

Jun 11, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 13
I am afraid the other guys are right. The dacs will never give you the impression of a more foward midrange anywhere close to what a headphone swap will do. I own the D-150s and they are exactly like you say. Midrange forward and great for details in that range. No dacs cast an illusion of big midrange shift that could compete with headphones. Other headphones that have the type of sound the d-150s have are the Sony MDR-7520. They are hella close but do not go deep like the dt-150s rather they like a bit of a warm bump in the low end then rolloff just like a Senn 650. Another middish centric can is the Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime perhaps.

Others are mid centric in a different part of the range to emphasize like the Senn 650s or Focal elears.

Good luck with the dac search as well.
Thank you for the post.

I actually own the DT-150 right now, and I'm using them with DT-100 velour pads.

Soundwise, they're endgame for me. But the thing is, that getting a proper seal with them is VERY annoying.

If the MDR-7520 really sounds a lot like the DT-150 AND getting a seal is easy, I'll most likely will want them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back