Looking for middle ground between HD660s and Focal Clear Mg
Mar 25, 2021 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

InternetSandman

Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new set of headphones for desktop use. Currently I use the Shure SRH1540 hooked up to the headphone output of the Audioengine HD3. Sometimes I use the speakers, sometimes I use the headphones, but I'm hoping to find a headphone that I'll wanna use all the time so the speakers can go elsewhere (and then I can look at better DAC/Amp setups later)

Initially I found the Sennheiser HD660s, which I thought would be great, but I wasn't sure how big of an upgrade they would be from my Shure SRH1540 considering they're roughly around the same price. I saw reviews for the Focal Clear and the news about the new Mg version, and people noted that the Clear was a very natural upgrade from the HD600 series, and since I used to own and love the HD650, I figured that would be great

Trouble is, if I'm spending roughly 2 grand (Canadian) on a headphone, I want it to be perfect, and every now and then there's a review of the Clear, or the Clear Mg, that mentions harsh treble or underwhelming bass in one or the other, which makes me very hesitant, and makes me want something in the middle ground, that would be of comparable style, comfort, and sound signature, but around 1000 USD or 1250ish CAD.

If I could feel 100% confident that the Clear or Clear Mg would have zero issues, I wouldn't mind saving for longer to get one, but that confidence seems hard to achieve

Also, I would love to go and audition them at my local headphone store, but with the current state of the world that's not really possible :frowning2:

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 13
Stop you said perfect there is no such thing.

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 13
Stop you said perfect there is no such thing.
Ok yes, but I mean for the price. I don't wanna spend 2 grand to have underwhelming bass or harsh treble, or whatever other issue gets pointed out in a review. I get that there's no such thing, but at the very least I want something endgame, where there's no need to look further, or for something else, outside of curiosity

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 13
Trouble is, if I'm spending roughly 2 grand (Canadian) on a headphone, I want it to be perfect, and every now and then there's a review of the Clear, or the Clear Mg, that mentions harsh treble or underwhelming bass in one or the other, which makes me very hesitant, and makes me want something in the middle ground, that would be of comparable style, comfort, and sound signature, but around 1000 USD or 1250ish CAD.

You should add the ZMF Aeolus to your list. I found my pair on Canuckaudiomart and I have paid around $1350 CAD

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 13
I think most of folks here will agree that there is no such thing as a perfect pair of the headphones regardless of the cost. Also no one here can tell you that you will be 100% happy with any of these headphones. One thing which is certain would be that there is no sure thing in life especially when it comes to personal preferences, such as food, cloths, cars, audio equipment and so on.

I can see that you are very concerned about dumping or investing (depending on the perspective) that near or over $1000 USD on a pair of headphones. It is very unnerving to purchase something that costly especially when you don't get to hear them prior to the purchase.

Perhaps, you need to slow down and don't rush in to buying anything until you get a chance to reduce your uncertainty or you re-scope your budget that you can be more comfortable spending or risking. To my ears, Senn HD800S or Focal Clear/Clear MG would be a substantial improvement over HD660S, where I wouldn't mind to recommend to anyone looking to spend $1K to $1.5K on either used or new pair of phones. However, there always will be a risk that you don't find them to your liking and you may have to resort in returning or trading in such cases.

One thing to notice is that the Focal Clear can be now bought brand new (if you can wait until summer) for around $990 and Senn HD8xx can be bought for roughly $1100 with $200 credit if you can wait until the late fall.

Other option is that you can always buy them on a used market where you can sell them back if you don't like them. In this case, you may only loose $50-$150 at most if you don't like them. You will just have to weigh in all your options and take the least risky option for you. YMMV, but only you can decide what is the right level of risks and how to go about buying your potential future headphones. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 13
ATH-R70X.

I know I sound crazy, but... Try it.

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 13
If I could feel 100% confident that the Clear or Clear Mg would have zero issues, I wouldn't mind saving for longer to get one, but that confidence seems hard to achieve

Also, I would love to go and audition them at my local headphone store, but with the current state of the world that's not really possible :frowning2:

Have you tried contacting the store or its owner? Given the current state of the world perhaps such a store would be willing to loan on deposit, or rent demo units to a local customer. Otherwise, since you seem rather anxious about this expenditure and getting it just-right, perhaps consider waiting until the current state of the world is no longer the current state of the world.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 13
Have you tried contacting the store or its owner? Given the current state of the world perhaps such a store would be willing to loan on deposit, or rent demo units to a local customer. Otherwise, since you seem rather anxious about this expenditure and getting it just-right, perhaps consider waiting until the current state of the world is no longer the current state of the world.
This.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 13
Just to add my own 2cents, I've been using Senns HD598 for a long time and just got myself some Clear Mgs. While they are better in (almost) every area, they are not worth roughly 10X the price...just my opinion. Some will probably completely disagree and that is fine. The HD598s advantages: more comfortable, more airy, really good vocals, and superb soundstage. Clear MGs advantages: more dynamic, much much better low bass, better treble (more "Clear"). They HD598s feel a bit muddy in the base after listening to the Clears for a while. So are the Clear's a good headphone? Very good! Do I like them? Very much! Are they worth the cost? Not to me. If money was no object, yes. Diminishing returns I seem to be realizing starts really showing above 800$ or so.

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 13
It's difficult to make suggestions when we don't really know or understand your tuning preferences. I've owned both the 660s and Clear MG. If you go the Focal route, I would recommend going with the MG, not the original. The MG is made with magnesium in the driver construction, where the original is made with aluminum. The aluminum version can definitely come across with a metallic tint in the upper frequencies, which can be a bit harsh and fatiguing. The MG is a little smoother and a touch darker in the presence region. The tuning of the MG is closer to the 660s, though obviously not exact. The MG is a more dynamic headphone with more punch and slap, better instrument separation, and a bit more out of your head. It's a very nice sounding headphone to my ears. If I would make another suggestion, I highly recommend the Ibasso SR2 that has a similar tuning for half the price. It punches above its price no doubt.

May 13, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #13 of 13
Just stay with the 650 if you loved them. It won't get much better than that.
there will be always improvements but the more you dig the more you go down...the differences are really small and most of the time it is a matter of preference. The HD650 are difficult to be significantly bettered by something else, unless you go up to 1,5k .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back