Looking for microphone recommendations for Teamspeak, Skype, etc.
Jan 2, 2016 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Andrew LB

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently in the market for a decent quality microphone to use with teamspeak and other VOIP applications as well as some voice recording work. I'd also like to try out Cortana in windows 10. i use Sennheiser HD580 headphones with a couple different amps (see sig) and my PC has an Creative X-Fi Titanium HD internal sound card. While it does have a 3.5mm jack, its my understanding that buying a USB mic would work better due to its all digital signal. 
I have a logitech G710 mechanical keyboard, but it's pretty quiet as far as mechanical keyboards go, so i think a desktop condenser mic can work for me.
I've seen lots of people recommend a Modmic, Samson Go Mic, and the more expensive Blue Yeti. Personally, i'd like to keep it below $50.

My setup:
Intel i5-4670k @ 4.4ghz
Asrock z87 Extreme4 Motherboard
16gb DDR3-1600
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb
An assortment of WD black drives.
X-Fi Titanium HD
GTX 780 ti
Corsair HX850w modular psu
2x Dell Ultrasharp u2410 displays
Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks in advance

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm looking at buying this, not a bad price atm $65

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR2500-USB-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B004QJREXM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451801755&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+condenser+microphone

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 5
CAD U37

I was also thinking about the Yeti or AT2020 USB but tried this one out beforehand thinking I would just return it to Amazon if I didn't like it.  It ended up doing everything I needed at half the cost.  No issues with it after 2+ years of use.

I thought I would be sacrificing some noise/hiss pickup due to its price but that's not the case.  It has a silent background and for any recorded work, once you run it through your DAW I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between it and the Yeti/2020 or similar models.

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 5
I've got the Blue Snowball microphone that I'm using at the moment and it's pretty solid.  I have done some vocal recording with it and I also play a lot of online games so I've used it with Skype, Curse, Mumble, Vent, etc.  The jump in quality over a typical headset mic is VERY noticeable, even my brother mentioned how much better it sounded and we've been gaming together online for a very long time. 

It's pretty affordable too, the only "downside" is that its very sensitive.  So make sure when using applications you set up push to talk, otherwise anyone in your room talking or watching TV will lead to very annoyed teammates...

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 5
Samson Meteor Mic USB Studio Microphone (Chrome) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MF39YS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_pnBJwb3CEB9DM

Nice and small so it'll fit easily under your monitor and be well-angled towards your voice, directional/cardioid, more than sufficient sound quality for your purposes, and $50 on the dot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back