Looking for lower end iem with isolation similair to shure's.
Jan 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

medex

New Head-Fier
I sampled a pair of se215's, they are nice and sound great but just way too big to carry to work everyday.  I am looking for an iem with similair isolation as when riding the subway that's a huge benefit.  The shure's are rated for 37db.  The iems also can't sit far outside of my ears like the etymotics do.  One hit from some lunatic on the subway will do a lot of damage. 

Any ideas? 

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 8
my 215's are my dailys.... they're not big...? i work in the city so i take the train everyday too. The case is dinky as well. not sure what's making your perceive it as too big. the isolation on them is awesome imo. Someone can probably put a gun to my head and ask me for my wallet and I wouldnt know. Just end up walking away not knowing what just happened haha.

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 8
Not to belabor the point but I use the shure se215's everyday as well on my train ride and find them very unobtrusive. Once you get used to placing them properly in your ears I think they make a great choice for what you describe.

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
my 215's are my dailys.... they're not big...? i work in the city so i take the train everyday too. The case is dinky as well. not sure what's making your perceive it as too big. the isolation on them is awesome imo. Someone can probably put a gun to my head and ask me for my wallet and I wouldnt know. Just end up walking away not knowing what just happened haha.

Quote:
Too big?  I carry the se535 everyday to work just fine..in my ears or in their case.

Well I don't carry a bag so they would have to stay in my pocket.  They are too big for that.  I tried it for a few days.  It's just incomfortable to have such a bug buldge in my pant pocket.

Another downside is that shure uses lead solder so you are getting lead exposure with use. They do have the prop 65 warning on them

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Well I don't carry a bag so they would have to stay in my pocket.  They are too big for that.  I tried it for a few days.  It's just incomfortable to have such a bug buldge in my pant pocket.

Another downside is that shure uses lead solder so you are getting lead exposure with use. They do have the prop 65 warning on them

Unless you are planning on breaking open the housing and licking, or just eating the very tiny amounts of solder used to connect the very tiny wires, I really wouldn't worry...and really I'd be willing to eat them if they tasted like chicken.  The amount of lead is way too small.  I'd worry more about getting hit by a car wearing noise-isolating headphones....

You can also do the time-honored technique of just winding the headphones around your music player of choice when not in use.  No need to use a case without a bag.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #8 of 8
The Yamaha EPH100, JVC FXD80, RE0, Aurvana 3 offers great isolation from surrounding and very good soundquality in similar price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back