Looking for low end grunge
Jan 10, 2024 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

freakdiablo

New Head-Fier
I realize I'm a total novice posting here. But here it goes.

I've honestly been poking at solid "head gremlin" components for a decade now. My first go-to was a set of Senheiser HD555s to a Creek Audio amp, moving to a Fiio E07K back in college.

Right now I have a Magni MB feeding a Monolith Liquid Spark going to a HFM Ananda Stealth.

And honestly I feel it's a good ~95% of the way there. I've been a fan of planars for a while, and when I upgraded to the Ananadas a week and a half ago they were the pincale of what I've heard. Open, solid mids, and solid low end.

The only thing I want is a bit of low end grunge.

So for reference, I listen to a lot of EDM and metal through Amazon Music, have an HD sub there. Things sound clean, the highs and mids are tight, and the subs get low, but.... I want to hear a bit more of the mid bass. Like the bass gets strong and gets low - I can feel it in my jaw.

The only thing I can think of is upgrading the DAC, I'm looking in the $200-300 price range and haven't found much that can output the power of the Liquid Spark.

I bow to your knowledge, masters.

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 3
The only thing I want is a bit of low end grunge.

So for reference, I listen to a lot of EDM and metal through Amazon Music, have an HD sub there. Things sound clean, the highs and mids are tight, and the subs get low, but.... I want to hear a bit more of the mid bass. Like the bass gets strong and gets low - I can feel it in my jaw.

The only thing I can think of is upgrading the DAC, I'm looking in the $200-300 price range and haven't found much that can output the power of the Liquid Spark.

Have you tried a little software EQ?

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 3
EQ is worth it's weight in gold. No DAC change is gonna be that noticeable. Source is pretty important to me, but at best it's a 10-20% improvement and it's only really noticeable when critically listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back