Looking for low cost preamp with a headphone jack
Mar 7, 2006 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pjr300

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks.... I'm looking for a used preamp that has a headphone jack. Does anyone have suggestions? It's going to be for a 2 channel video system.... not much audio, just DVD playback. The HP jack will drive Grado 60 'phones for late night video watching.

A Melos is overkill (heat-wise and budget wise). What models I should consider? Any adcoms? Others? I'll probably add a used Adcom amp to it, like a 535 or a 545. Thanks!

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 16
......has a jack, and it's generally found on the used market for $125 to $150.

Never had one.....just noticed what looked like a jack in a picture of a unit on eBay today, and the manual available on the Parasound site confirms that it does have a jack that can drive phones from 8 to 600 ohms.

Some folks who've posted reviews of it say the controls feel cheap, but hey, it wasn't ever a high-priced unit when new!

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 16
What is low cost? Did you consider any integrated amps that will perform as pre-amp with another amp? I believe that the Arcam Alpha series will do so, and I know that the Alpha One has a headphone jack. A used one should be pretty affordable.

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 16
What is low cost? Geez... let's say $200.

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 16
How about this?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CControl/

It is cheap and relaible. At this price, you won't get pristine sound in either the preamp or headamp section, but you will get decent sound based on cheap but proven circuits.

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 16
If you have not yet looked at Audiogon, I would suggest a few minutes there to see what is available.

Alternately, find a receiver with a line out and buy a headphone amp that can be fed from the line-out (used Airhead or similar). This might give you a fighting chance at getting decent sound at $200 or less.

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
Alternately, find a receiver with a line out and buy a headphone amp that can be fed from the line-out (used Airhead or similar). This might give you a fighting chance at getting decent sound at $200 or less.

Now I'm really confused (maybe it doesn't take that much to confuse me, perhaps????) I presumed that pjr300 wanted a preamp for that particular functionality, as opposed to something else.

Anyway, what would be gained by feeding the audio outputs from a DVD player into a receiver, and then feeding the "line out" from the receiver into a headphone amp?

By the "line out" of a receiver, do you mean the "preamp out" or the "tape out"? Routing the "tape out" would do nothing, but taking the "preamp out" (if the receiver has that available) would allow use of the receiver's volume and tone controls.......but that sticks another unnecessary gain stage into the mix, wouldn't it? Most pre-outs can swing way more voltage than one needs to drive phones, but not enough current.

Why not take the audio output from the DVD player directly into an inexpensive headamp?

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo
Now I'm really confused (maybe it doesn't take that much to confuse me, perhaps????) I presumed that pjr300 wanted a preamp for that particular functionality, as opposed to something else.

Anyway, what would be gained by feeding the audio outputs from a DVD player into a receiver, and then feeding the "line out" from the receiver into a headphone amp?

By the "line out" of a receiver, do you mean the "preamp out" or the "tape out"? Routing the "tape out" would do nothing, but taking the "preamp out" (if the receiver has that available) would allow use of the receiver's volume and tone controls.......but that stick another unnecessary gain stage into the mix, wouldn't it? Most pre-outs can swing way more voltage than one needs to drive phones, but not enough current.

Why not take the audio output from the DVD player directly into an inexpensive headamp?

No, you are not confused. I believe I mixed up this thread with another one when I answered. Sorry for the confusion. All of what you just said is correct. My apologies. But, I am now confused as to why the OP needs a preamp, and not just a headphone amp that can pass the signal along through a line out?

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

No, you are not confused. I believe I mixed up this thread with another one when I answered. Sorry for the confusion. All of what you just said is correct. My apologies. But, I am now confused as to why the OP needs a preamp, and not just a headphone amp that can pass the signal along through a line out?

I think because........

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjr300
Hi folks......<<snip>>.......I'll probably add a used Adcom amp to it, like a 535 or a 545. Thanks!

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjr300
What is low cost? Geez... let's say $200.

You're probably going to have to stick to NAD, Adcom, Rotel etc.

You can probably find some decent used pieces by these companies and others on the web.

Another possible root, is to just get an integrated source component.
(i.e. For what you want...a universal player with a volume adjustable headphone jack).

Best of luck.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo
I think because........

It a good thing one of us is thinking!! I sincerely apologize for going 0 for 2 on this thread. Now that I have gone over it again, and understand the OP's original objective (I still do not know how I lost it in the first place), I think I'll stick with my original suggestion, and my final suggestion. After all, a headphone amp with a line out is, in essence, a basic preamp. And, a used one with a line out might be about as cheap as some of the other suggestions mentioned.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

....a headphone amp with a line out is, in essence, a basic preamp. And, a used one with a line out might be about as cheap as some of the other suggestions mentioned.

So, any thoughts on which headphone amps have a line out? It's not something that I've even looked at before!

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #14 of 16
Here are a few options to consider if you can find them used:

CIA's VHP-1
Headamp's AE-1 or Gilmore Lite

There are others, but they are not coming to mind right now.

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Here are a few options to consider if you can find them used:

CIA's VHP-1
Headamp's AE-1 or Gilmore Lite

There are others, but they are not coming to mind right now.

Unfortunately all three of those amplifiers are likely going to be well north of $200 used. I can't think of anything in the OP's budget range that would fill the bill.

IMO he'd be better off sticking with his original plan - a budget preamp with headphone out. He can always add a headphone amp later if he so chooses and it will give him the flexibility he needs to put together his 2 channel system. Here are some used possibilities currently listed at AudiogoN:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1146536300

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1146424597

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1146173246

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1144782370

Users who are viewing this thread

Back