Looking for low-cost over-ear headphones, mostly for electronic music & electric piano playing
Nov 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

albru123

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I need help with choosing the right ones for me. Chritmas is coming so fast, and I still don't know which one I'll choose.

Here are my requirements:
It must be over an over-ear headphones. Maybe earpads, but that won't give that comfort.
Max price is 107$
If possible, durable cable. I broke so much headphones this way.
3,5 to 6,3 jack reduction in package will be good, but not necessary.
Comfort (I sometimes listen 6 hours per day)

I'll use heaphones for listening electronic music (mostly house & trance, so more bass will be good), playing electric piano and really often classical music and jazz (these two are not relevant). I'm experimenting with synthesizers now too, so better sound will make better result. The source will be computer and smartphone. I will mostly use it at home.

I did a little research about the best headphones for me. Koss Porta Pro was king of low-cost/high-quality, but as many people told me, quality isn't the same as before and you must be very lucky to find a good ones. Then there's Sennheiser with all his models. From Sennheiser, I chose the HD 215 II model because of solid looking cable, but I think there are more options that I don't know. About the HD 215 II, I really don't know if it's the best because it's old model and it's not bassy one, so I'll have to use equalizer most of the time.

I think I wrote everything needed, if not, please ask me!
Do you know about any alternatives? Please tell me. I'll be happy for every answer.

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 38
Bump 
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 38
JVC HA-S500 are very, very good on ear, portable headphones. Nice bit of bass emphasis for electronic music, but still will sound very good with other genres. They will play plenty loud with almost any source and are easy to drive with portable devices. Get 'em off Amazon (they'll be imported from Japan--not released in the US).

See this thread to learn more: http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 38
I live in Czech Republic (used dollars only to show the highest price), so I usually buy only in Czech e-shops. It will be better, if I should try it myself. I don't need loud headphones, I got the volume turned as loud as I need.

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 38
Since we don't know what kind of headphones you have in the shops there, will be difficult for anyone to help you. Best bet is to go listen for yourself.

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 38
I live in Czech Republic (used dollars only to show the highest price), so I usually buy only in Czech e-shops. It will be better, if I should try it myself. I don't need loud headphones, I got the volume turned as loud as I need.

In Czech e-shops have the HD439? Really durable headphone and cable,  the cable is replaceable, very VERY comfy, great sound quality ( However the highs are recessed) 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter included and below $100

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 38
Yes, I can get almost every Sennheiser model, AKG, Sony, Audio-Technika, something from BOSE Shure, and so on .... But nothing from JVC. I know it's hard to help, but please try it. Thank you guys for your help.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 38
So, I don't have any option where to try this nice headphones anyway, so I only asked the shop,  what would be his choice (normally I would prefer only 1 information source, but this is important to me). This is the list of alternatives, I hope posting it wouldn't make a magic circle.

1. Audio-Technica ATH-T500
2. Shure SRH440

And some bass ones:

1. Fischer Audio SATURN
2. Fischer Audio Wicked Queen

My favourite is still Sennheiser HD439, but I also read that the design is not very firm, but don't know what to except from it.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 38
So I swyped out Audio-Technica - I think they are less comfortable then the Sennheiser ones. Then I don't know what to think about Shure :confused_face(1):
Wicked Queen is ugly as hell, still don't know what to think about the Saturn.

Looks like Senn is still winnig, but I'm confused about using equalizer to pull up the basses. Hope it'll be OK.

Any other ideas about headphones with a little bit more bass, or it's the final choice?

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #14 of 38
I listen to radio shows a lot. So only 1 2-hours A state of trance would probably kill me :p

6 hours is maybe overkill, but 4 hours will be realistic.
Thanks for your help guys, this will be my first higher-quality headphones, so I don't wanna buy something that i wouldn't enjoy. I don't know how it feels and if I could enjoy that good sound with less bass, because I've never head anything excepts Beats (sound was good, but total ****).

If you will have any other idea, please tell me

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #15 of 38
I listen to radio shows a lot. So only 1 2-hours A state of trance would probably kill me :p

6 hours is maybe overkill, but 4 hours will be realistic.
Thanks for your help guys, this will be my first higher-quality headphones, so I don't wanna buy something that i wouldn't enjoy. I don't know how it feels and if I could enjoy that good sound with less bass, because I've never head anything excepts Beats (sound was good, but total ****).

If you will have any other idea, please tell me

I repeat the HD439 is a good option. However there are other headphones like the Audio Technica WS-77 (Solid bass series) or Logitech UE6000 (You can buy it in $120)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back