Looking for LCD-2 replacement
Mar 15, 2014 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JustinDT

Head-Fier
I find my LCD-2s to be too heavy for what I am looking for out of a pair of phones. What would be a good replacement for the LCD-2s that would be lighter and similarly sounding? Preferably around the same price or cheaper.

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 13
HiFiMan HE-500

Plastic construction making it very light.  Utilizes planar technology so the sound signature is similar in speed and bass response.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/hifiman-he-500.php

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 13
I have the bamboo version so the LCD-2s I have is slightly lighter than the HE-500s. I'm probably going to have to give up planar tech to get into the comfortable weight area I'm looking for. Any non-planar suggestions?

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 13
Alpha Dogs are very comfortable, sound great and similar to the LCD-2's and are cheaper ($599), have you checked them out?

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 13
Yeah the lcd-2s are great but that's a pretty high end starting point. I would check out some reviews of the Alpha Dogs. They are pretty well acclaimed, I've even seen one reviewer say they come pretty close to the lcd-xc for closed cans, which is crazy because they retail for $1800 and the alpha dogs are only $600

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Either HD600 or HD650.  I am keen to try the Alpha Dogs myself also though have not heard them so cannot say.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 13
Yeah the lcd-2s are great but that's a pretty high end starting point. I would check out some reviews of the Alpha Dogs. They are pretty well acclaimed, I've even seen one reviewer say they come pretty close to the lcd-xc for closed cans, which is crazy because they retail for $1800 and the alpha dogs are only $600

By that mentality, we would all be sticking to our Clips and iPods  (Because of the way things are priced in the higher end niche market)
e.g I am happy in the $350 range of headphones, because they are better value/sound very close to $800/etc
biggrin.gif

As a university student, I am reluctant to spend anything large on something I will not be putting a lot of use into.  Have had a lot of fun in the mid-fi bracket, and I am afraid to dive any deeper....  
Maybe one day the Beats brand will bring true Audiophile quality for the masses for ~$250 and shake things up hehe.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 13

Maybe one day the Beats brand will bring true Audiophile quality for the masses for ~$250 and shake things up hehe.

haha, keep dreaming...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back