Looking for Kit Advice!
Sep 24, 2014 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

PiotrTheGreat

New Head-Fier
EDIT: On the advice of jodgey, I have shortened this considerably.

I am looking for a full audio kit. Specifically:

In-Ear Buds for the gym (these will be used mostly for rock, electronica, and potentially hip-hop)

Over-The-Ear Cans (these will be used for all genres, but again, mostly the above. They will also occasionally travel on mass transit)

A DAP (I've had a Fiio X3 recommended to me, but I'm liking the X5 for it's constantly upgrading capacity)

Overall, I am looking to spend no more than $700 for all of these things.

Note: I have $75 that I can spend specifically on Skullcandy products, so please consider that and recommend them as warranted.

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 18
Would you like the over the ear cans to be open or closed? If they're just for home, being open is probably preferable. And it sounds like a slightly warm sound would be best for ya?

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 18
  Would you like the over the ear cans to be open or closed? If they're just for home, being open is probably preferable. And it sounds like a slightly warm sound would be best for ya?

It's entirely possible that I'll be using the cans when commuting as well, so closed might be better. That, or the buds will be pulling double duty. As for "slightly warm", I...suppose? As I mentioned: not really all that deep into sound quality lingo, thought that does sound about right (I don't want or need the sound to be incredibly sharp as I don't listen to orchestral music all that often, so...yeah, let's go with slightly warm)

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 18
When I travel, I know I really like having earbuds, because full headphones are awkward, and then having an open pair at home is real nice. Just personal taste.

I know basically nothing about IEM's, other than that I love Noble Audio, which are loved by many. The cheapest model is $350 though, so probably more than you'd want to spend. In the 'portables' sub-forum, there's a bunch of threads on IEM comparisons.

Let's say you get the X3 (a good choice just from specs), that leaves ~250 for a home headphone rig and IEM's each. For home headphones, I'd look at Phillips X1's, NAD HP50's, Sennheiser HD558's or HD598's, and maybe the over popular ATH M50's. Those are all super popular, versatile, warm headphones, some open, some closed... and I've tried all of them. There's plenty of other options, yes, and I'm sure someone will chime in at more reasonable hours tomorrow to help narrow that down. The rest you can decide how to spend on your IEM's. If you go much past the $300 mark on full sized headphones, chances are you'll need a dedicated amp too, so staying under that is a pretty good idea IMHO.

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 18
Pro tip I've gathered from my time on many forums... a shorter first post can be helpful. Maybe edit it to cut out superfluous info and keep it short and sweet. Many members, including myself after long days, see a wall of text and just move on.

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 18
I just want to say, that is by far the most incredible way to bump a thread that I've ever seen.

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 18
I must agree, I'll think about possible suggestions and post in a little while. As far as Skullcandy, the only two products I'm aware of having reasonable quality are the Aviator and Mix Master. I'll listen to both later to refresh my memory on their sound.

Now, as far as X3 vs X5: The X3 costs around $200 and has a slightly more powerful amp section, uses buttons instead of a button and wheel combo, has hardware bass and treble controls instead of an EQ, 1 micro SD slot + 8gb onboard, and is physically smaller in size. The X5 costs around $350 and has what is generally considered a better Dac section, a wheel like the ipod classic line, EQ which once activated drops the sound by 6dB so you'll have to remember to boost the volume accordingly, 2 micro SD with no onboard storage, OTG Storage capabilities which will add to the bulk of the player, and a mounting kit (sold separately) designed for easy amp strapping on. Both are capable USB Dac/Amps, neither have FM/AM capabilities, X5 has playlist support currently which the X3 will get down the line, assuming I haven't forgotten and it's gotten it already. Both have coaxial and line out for hooking it up to other systems or amps. I'm sure there are other differences I'm forgetting, but that's a good start to keep things in mind.

Also, just putting this out there, and I am in no way going to suggest you do this, it's just something to consider. I'm going to sell my X3 in the near future due to me only really needing one of the two for my needs, and considering I already have both, why not keep the X5 over the X3. Let me know if this is something that might interest you.

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 18
I must agree, I'll think about possible suggestions and post in a little while. As far as Skullcandy, the only two products I'm aware of having reasonable quality are the Aviator and Mix Master. I'll listen to both later to refresh my memory on their sound.

Now, as far as X3 vs X5: The X3 costs around $200 and has a slightly more powerful amp section, uses buttons instead of a button and wheel combo, has hardware bass and treble controls instead of an EQ, 1 micro SD slot + 8gb onboard, and is physically smaller in size. The X5 costs around $350 and has what is generally considered a better Dac section, a wheel like the ipod classic line, EQ which once activated drops the sound by 6dB so you'll have to remember to boost the volume accordingly, 2 micro SD with no onboard storage, OTG Storage capabilities which will add to the bulk of the player, and a mounting kit (sold separately) designed for easy amp strapping on. Both are capable USB Dac/Amps, neither have FM/AM capabilities, X5 has playlist support currently which the X3 will get down the line, assuming I haven't forgotten and it's gotten it already. Both have coaxial and line out for hooking it up to other systems or amps. I'm sure there are other differences I'm forgetting, but that's a good start to keep things in mind.

Also, just putting this out there, and I am in no way going to suggest you do this, it's just something to consider. I'm going to sell my X3 in the near future due to me only really needing one of the two for my needs, and considering I already have both, why not keep the X5 over the X3. Let me know if this is something that might interest you.

The X5 is sounding better and better, to be honest, though the EQ does seem like a bit of an annoyance. That said, I'd probably go with the X5 right off the bat, unless someone suggests a completely different player within that price range.

Now all I need are the in-ear recommends

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 18
Well, considering the $75 you can spend at Skullcandy, the Mix Master isn't worth the $300 they're charging.  It's a fun headphone, but not worth those prices.  Mine was a present, but I'm fairly sure it was on sale for around $110 or so at Best Buy at the time.  I personally find the Aviator to be a fun headphone, but I'm not sure it'd be worth it for you given it'd cost $120.  The other Skullcandy product which I've heard good things about, but I have yet to get a chance to try it, is the SLYR, which would be a gaming headset for both PC and console gaming.  That one would run $80, but it wouldn't really suit any of your needs.

So, while I could write down a description of the sounds of both the Aviator and Mix Master, Skullcandy's pricing on their site isn't in line with the street value of these headphones.  So if you just wanted to spend your $75, I'd be inclined to just try out the SLYR for fun, worst comes to worst you're out a little bit of money.  I'd also do some research on their IEMs to see if maybe the quality of them has improved with the newer models.

Oh, and what is your in ear budget currently looking like?  And are you opposed to buying used?

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #13 of 18
  Well, considering the $75 you can spend at Skullcandy, the Mix Master isn't worth the $300 they're charging.  It's a fun headphone, but not worth those prices.  Mine was a present, but I'm fairly sure it was on sale for around $110 or so at Best Buy at the time.  I personally find the Aviator to be a fun headphone, but I'm not sure it'd be worth it for you given it'd cost $120.  The other Skullcandy product which I've heard good things about, but I have yet to get a chance to try it, is the SLYR, which would be a gaming headset for both PC and console gaming.  That one would run $80, but it wouldn't really suit any of your needs.

So, while I could write down a description of the sounds of both the Aviator and Mix Master, Skullcandy's pricing on their site isn't in line with the street value of these headphones.  So if you just wanted to spend your $75, I'd be inclined to just try out the SLYR for fun, worst comes to worst you're out a little bit of money.  I'd also do some research on their IEMs to see if maybe the quality of them has improved with the newer models.

Oh, and what is your in ear budget currently looking like?  And are you opposed to buying used?

The biggest thing about Skullcandy's cans is that they run expensive, and they don't have true replacements for the Aviators I returned. They used to, but apparently they've done away with the ROCNATION ones. If I HAD to spend the $75 on anything, I'd generally prefer it be a set of In-Ears from them, as I can cover the cost with just the coupon. Downside is: I don't know what the quality of their new buds is like.

As for buying used, I suppose I wouldn't be TOO opposed to it, but between not knowing where or how to buy used headphones and not being sure of their integrity (after all, someone could've used them to the point that one side doesn't work, as was the case with my Aviators), hence why I'd prefer to buy new so I know what I'm getting.

As for my in-ear budget: well, it's part of the $700. Given the prices I've come across for in-ears in years past, I'd probably say no more than $100-$150. Remember: they're going to be used primarily for the gym, so they have to stand up to a fair bit of abuse. Spending any more than that on headphones that are liable to break in some way is just poor decision-making on my part

Users who are viewing this thread

Back