Looking for insight on a new IEM purchase.
Jun 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RMK5

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone!

I apologize in advance for this post if I'm asking for assistance with questions that have already been answered. I've been looking around and found some great information but I think I have a couple refined questions still not answered. Sorry for the longer post :frowning2:

Currently I'm looking to purchase a set of new IEMs. At the moment I've been reduced down to using some $10~ earbuds I found in a old box of stuff. I've never really owned a nice(er) pair of IEMs and thought I would invest a little more into some. This way I'm not just buying a new set every few months to replace the last. I've never actually owned a very nice pair. The best I've owned probably being my Creative Aurvana (http://goo.gl/W99ur). I got them when I worked at Circuit city many years ago for $25 (perks of working there I suppose). Since then.. it's been basic sets ever since. I'm hoping to change that :D

As of now, I'm looking for a pair to use while on the go. Mostly when going to work/home. Traveling around town. I spend a lot of time walking and on public transit. They would be used at the gym and on flights etc.. I wouldn't be using anything more than my cell phone (3rd generation Nexus) or an iPod. My music taste can vary quite a bit but I would be interested in good/decent bass and nice clarity.

I'm hoping to spend under the $150 range. I have no issues buying used items if they work and I'm willing to sit tight and wait out a good deal if the headphones are worth it. Currently the ones I seem to hear the most about are:
 Shure SE215 (regular or special edition)
 GR07's (a little pricer)
 A161p

I'm open to other idea's and thoughts. Aside from sound, I'm also concerned with build quality. The idea of being able to replace the cables of the SE215's is nice. I also hear great things about the IE8's but have a hard time finding a set in my price range that don't raise the concern of it being a knock-off. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 9
Sound quality wise, GR07 is the best. Build quality wise, SE215 is the best. It's all matter of preference, but everything on the list is solid. Also, I would stay away from an IE8 that costs under $150.

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 9
You should be able to find a set of Fischer DBA-02 Mk2's for around that price.  Hands down my favourite IEM of all time.  Certainly puts the Shure's to shame, though I've not tried the vsonics.  Very accurate, very clear, VERY fast IEMs with a brilliantly stable and comfortable build (and totally unflashy).  If mine die, I will look to replace them in a heartbeat.

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
You should be able to find a set of Fischer DBA-02 Mk2's for around that price.  Hands down my favourite IEM of all time.  Certainly puts the Shure's to shame, though I've not tried the vsonics.  Very accurate, very clear, VERY fast IEMs with a brilliantly stable and comfortable build (and totally unflashy).  If mine die, I will look to replace them in a heartbeat.

They are a very good iem indeed, but it seems to me like he is looking for iems with more bass than TWFK can offer. I mean, he was looking at IE8, and there is no way that TWFK blast ie8 kind of bass.

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the response guys! 

The honest truth is I have not had a chance to listen to any of them. I'm (at this point) going of reviews and comparisons. That's how I came across the IE8's in the first place. To be honest I don't need the bass to shake my ears while I have the IEM's in, I would just like it to be noticeable. Though @Kimvictor you made a point I was concerned with. The build quality. These will be in and out of my bag, used while in my pocket and I'm moving around etc.. I love the idea of removeable cables for this reason but it's not really a feature many IEMs will offer in my budget range :frowning2:

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
They are a very good iem indeed, but it seems to me like he is looking for iems with more bass than TWFK can offer. I mean, he was looking at IE8, and there is no way that TWFK blast ie8 kind of bass.

Ah yes you're probably right - the driver doesn't have a great deal of bass impact on tap - though the bass that it does offer up is very tight and focused.

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Thanks for the response guys! 

The honest truth is I have not had a chance to listen to any of them. I'm (at this point) going of reviews and comparisons. That's how I came across the IE8's in the first place. To be honest I don't need the bass to shake my ears while I have the IEM's in, I would just like it to be noticeable. Though @Kimvictor you made a point I was concerned with. The build quality. These will be in and out of my bag, used while in my pocket and I'm moving around etc.. I love the idea of removeable cables for this reason but it's not really a feature many IEMs will offer in my budget range :frowning2:

If build quality is a major concern, I would go for the SE215, just to be safe. They don't have excessive bass, but definitely present bass.

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks Kimvictor! I think I will end up looking at getting a pair of the 215's in the end. There's so many options out there though I was just wanting to see if anything might have come up that I would have missed. 

Now the last bit I was hoping to get info on is.. Is there a big difference in the 315's? Or even the 215 special edition? I don't see much info on the big difference of the 215/315 but I hear that the 215 specials are a bit better in both the highs and lows?

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 9
315 is more of a specialized iem. It's very mid focused, and has bass and treble severely rolled off. It has better mids than SE215, but it doesn't have bass or treble. SE215 special edition has more extended and present bass than se215.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back