Looking for insight into Mouse on Mars
Jun 5, 2004 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GuineaMcPig

100+ Head-Fier
Hello-

I've been reading up a little bit about the group Mouse on Mars and am intrigued. Just wondering what releases are worth listening to and what might be a good introduction to them. Thanks!

~Jordan

Jun 5, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 7
I love Mouse On Mars, and the best introduction to them is to see them live. Short of that, I would start with their earliest albums, Vulvaland and Iaora Tahiti. I actually like Rost Pocks the least best, so I would save that for last.

What's so great about them is that they basically make pop music, but experiment enough to give it that little twist, that added edge, that really takes it to the next plateau.

Jun 5, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm currently fixed on the Audiotacker album. Go get it now!

The one album of theirs that was slightly disappointing to me was Idiology. Personally, I would avoid it until you decide to start collecting their catalog.

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 7
Mouse on Mars is fantastic. Like Peter said, seeing them live is fantastic, but the three albums already stated would be what I recommend. I started with autoditacker, but I think I listen to Iaori Tahiti and Rost Pocks most now...I think Vulvaland is good, but I never got around to listening to it that much. Iaori Tahiti is awesome, especially if you speak Japanese -- the opening lyrics are pretty funny.

Jul 16, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 7
i'll add Niun Niggung. since the album arrived a few days ago, i can't stop listening to it, it's that fantastic. very playful and organic, like autechre on laughing gas.

Jul 16, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 7
I had Idiology a while back, didn't do much for me. I see no one has reco'ed it so far, so maybe it's not a good example of their work?
confused.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Idiology seems to be a dividing album to people... some really like it, others don't. Personally I find it to be a little-bit hollow, apparently challenging and interesting at first but without much to keep you coming back for more.

I'd start with Iaori Tahiti and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back