looking for info on glass pilot jewels
Jan 3, 2006 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Voodoochile

Supafly & The Funky Pimps
Wondering if any of you have ever seen small glass pilot light jewels? I have seen the vintage big type, like on some old guitar amps. I'm loking for one to suit an LED, preferably with a tiny brushed or chromed bushing. The plastic LED holder/lens all-in-one variety works pretty well, I have used it often. But I'd like a nicer, more clear solution for a project i'm working on. Glass would be really nice.

If I can't fint it, I may end up buying some costume jewelery ring with a big glass stone, or maybe even a cubic zirconium. But the fabbing a bezel would be tricky, so a manufactured piece is preferable.

Jan 3, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 13
Actually, more like this, only without as much 'stuff' making the bezel. A slightly domed jewel look.
55-305-1.JPG

Jan 3, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 13
Ah, like this one:
jewel_amber.jpg

Except that this one is huge. I want one about 3/32" in diameter.

Jan 3, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 13
That's an intersting thought. I wonder if I could polish it reasonably afterward? Maybe even heat it a bit with the heatgun until it glosses over again.

Jan 3, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 13
haha maybe take it to a jeweler and see if they can cut it for you? could cost money though, and could be hard to find a good jewel cutter

Jan 3, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 13
I've had good luck 'flame polishing' with a butane lighter. It only takes a fraction of a second with plexiglass. Your LED plastic might be different, but its probably worth a try.

Jan 4, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 13
Hey there voodoo,

You might take a look at a jewelry supply place online. Firemountaingems.com has a huge selection of gems in pretty much any color you'd like. Here is their Faceted Gems section. They even have cubic zirconia and colored cubic zircs as well (listed further down the page). Enjoy!

Jan 4, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #10 of 13
Nice link, bhjazz, thanks for that! If I go that way, I won't have to deal with an empty ring, as I would have to if I bought a CZ ring for the stone. The Citrine looks like the right color, although clear would work fine as well. I have small amber/orange LEDs for illuminating the lens. I'm looking for the old-school neon lamp color behind glass look, but in a smaller package.

As for a mount, I might make one out of a stainless hex-head screw. This is sounding more do-able all the time.

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 13
hmm maybe check out alliead electronics (alliedelec.com). I think they have a section of lenses similar to that, not sure about sizing though.

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
Nice link, bhjazz, thanks for that!

No problem, man! I occasionally build jewlery and have a small batch of good links for stones, gems and the like. I was thinkin' that would be pretty close to what you described. Isn't it funny how some of these hobbies overlap? (and seriously..twisting wire around a fixed point with tiny pliers so a stone can hang off of it turns out to be quite therapeutic..!)

And by the way, rickcr42, your link looks cool! The white LED bar shown on page 3 of their catalog is what I want to creat myself. I just changed jobs and my desk is in the middle of a cube farm. I really want to build something that will help me find it after I grab my morning coffee! Thanks for the link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back