Looking for info on a couple of headphones
Mar 9, 2019 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gwertheim

Head-Fier
Hey all,

Trying to get a straight answer on what are the sound differences between the sennheiser HD600, 650, 6XX and 660s.

I went to reddit first and I was given charts which tell me nothing because everyone hears differently.

I am looking for someone to tell me if the 660s are worth buying and how the sound signature compares to the others in the 600 series.

Also I am looking for what people think of the fostex t60rp and meze 99 classic.

No charts please

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 12
the 660s are based on 700 drivers, the 650 are warmer in comparison. If you are a bass head, neither of these cans will be your go to headset, however the 660s edge out in term of bass. I have not listen to the 660s but have listen to the 700s FWIW.

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 12
Hi @gwertheim,

Depends what kind of sound you are looking for with the non Sennheiser headphones.

Meze 99 Classics have a nice, smooth sound which some will say sounds laid back, relaxed, etc.
Personally & subjectively, it all depends on your source & music played as I find the 99 Classics very engaging on top of that nice, smooth sound which is nicely supported by a good, responsive natural bass.

The T60rp tend lean towards clinical & unnaturally flatter than neutral which subjectively & personally I find hard to listen to but your mileage may vary.
Otherwise, it does have reasonable sound overall.

Hope this makes sense.

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 12
Hi @gwertheim,

Depends what kind of sound you are looking for with the non Sennheiser headphones.

Meze 99 Classics have a nice, smooth sound which some will say sounds laid back, relaxed, etc.
Personally & subjectively, it all depends on your source & music played as I find the 99 Classics very engaging on top of that nice, smooth sound which is nicely supported by a good, responsive natural bass.

The T60rp tend lean towards clinical & unnaturally flatter than neutral which subjectively & personally I find hard to listen to but your mileage may vary.
Otherwise, it does have reasonable sound overall.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks I am thinking of getting two headphones I can use with an emotiva basx a-100 and the El dac.

One liad back for easy listening and one accurate for when I want to hear the way it was intended to by the artist.

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks I am thinking of getting two headphones I can use with an emotiva basx a-100 and the El dac.

One liad back for easy listening and one accurate for when I want to hear the way it was intended to by the artist.

Hi @gwertheim,

Well, easy choice then, you can't go wrong either way with the Meze 99 Classics though keep in mind this is my humble subjective & personal opinion so your mileage will differ as will your hearing on this.

If you want a headphone which is closed to intended by the artist, some will definitely disagree but one of my reference headphones I like using for this purpose is the Sony 1AM2.

Either way, a demo is a must to be certain you are meeting your criteria so trust no else but your own ears & opinion to make a decision.

Hope this works for you, feel free to ask more if you need.

Mar 15, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #9 of 12
Thx for the tip, to be completely honest, it's one of those situations where until you hear it, you won't know for sure

Exactly.
Can't stress demos & trusting your own ears & judgement enough !

Be interested to know how you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back