Looking for inexpensive replacement cable for Focal Elear ???
Jan 26, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #16 of 23
  tkteo

The link referenced has the Elear as an option.  Moon audio also is making one. I paid $110 with Kevlar sleving and silver/cooper OCC.  I need a 3.5 input for the Mojo and shorter length.  The stock cable is ridiculously heavy and long when used with the Mojo

John2e, Can you tell where you got your $110 cable? tks!

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #17 of 23
Just get the short (or long, whichever) cable for Beyer T1 G2. It works perfectly, and the quality of the cable is indisputable. 

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #19 of 23
  Found these guys silver/cooper option 

https://www.mimic-cables.com

Just ordered one from these guys and upgraded to the OCC copper.  Unlike most folks, I actually need the length of the stock Elear cable, and I'm not unhappy with the sound that I'm hearing from it, either.  I just wanted a balanced connector and was actually just about to cut the connector off the stock cable and solder on a new Eidolic XLR that I bought when I saw this thread.  Would rather leave the stock cable intact now that there are some not-so-expensive aftermarket options. 

I also have a very expensive "Statement" cable from Audio Sensibility for my LCD-2's.  Pure silver, Furutech connectors at both ends, etc.  About a $500 cable, and I don't really care for it with the Audeze's.  I'm sure I didn't give it nearly enough burn-in time, but that was about the same time that I got turned on to the Elears, so I lost interest.  I just ordered some new Eidolic 3.5mm connectors to replace the mini-xlr's, so I can try that cable with the Elears, too.  Might be interesting to A/B a good quality copper cable with a silver one. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #20 of 23
  The Beyer T1 G2 cables are a match for the Elear?  Does the 3.5mm have to be mono or does that matter?

It doesn't matter. I'm using my Elear with the T1.2 cable since got it. But I can't speak for all the third party T1.2 replacement cables on the market. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #21 of 23

Just ordered one from these guys and upgraded to the OCC copper.  Unlike most folks, I actually need the length of the stock Elear cable, and I'm not unhappy with the sound that I'm hearing from it, either.  I just wanted a balanced connector and was actually just about to cut the connector off the stock cable and solder on a new Eidolic XLR that I bought when I saw this thread.  Would rather leave the stock cable intact now that there are some not-so-expensive aftermarket options. 

I also have a very expensive "Statement" cable from Audio Sensibility for my LCD-2's.  Pure silver, Furutech connectors at both ends, etc.  About a $500 cable, and I don't really care for it with the Audeze's.  I'm sure I didn't give it nearly enough burn-in time, but that was about the same time that I got turned on to the Elears, so I lost interest.  I just ordered some new Eidolic 3.5mm connectors to replace the mini-xlr's, so I can try that cable with the Elears, too.  Might be interesting to A/B a good quality copper cable with a silver one. 

So, I got my custom cable from mimic-cables.com and I have to say that I'm very pleased!  Build quality obviously can't compete with my Audio Sensibility cable, but for 1/3 the investment, you'd be crazy to expect it to.  As I said above, I upgraded to the OCC copper option for a reasonable fee ($60, I think.  I got the 10-12' length).  Plugging it in cold it sounded a bit muddy and uncontrolled, but after only 5 hrs or so of burn-in it blossomed into the best sound I've heard yet from my Elears.  I've only had the stock cable before and wanted to try a balanced cable as I can certainly tell a difference on my LCD-2's between balanced and single-ended, strongly favoring the balanced. 

I've read somewhere here on the site that there should be no sound difference between balanced and single-ended cable unless the cable is very long, but that's just not been my experience.  Now, it is true that I cannot say unequivocally that it is the connection method that is making the difference, but I can come close.  On the LCD-2's, I have used both the stock single-ended and the stock balanced cables.  The difference between the two is not as pronounced as I'm experiencing now with this new Elear cable vs. the stocker,  but I still very clearly prefer the balanced.  So, I'll concede that the rest of the cable construction may account for some of the gains I'm hearing now, but the balanced connector is definitely part of it.  I should note that I also have balanced connections from my DAC to my amp, and I'm sure that's a factor in my feelings about what I'm hearing.  Frankly, this is one of those things where I just don't care to debate the issue.  If I hear a difference, that's all that matters to me. Not gonna call anybody wrong or even crazy to believe otherwise, all I can say is that this has been my experience, twice now.

Now, back to this cable.  Perhaps the best indicator of the gains I'm hearing is the fact that I no longer feel the need to use EQ on most recordings that I listen to.  I make no apologies for using EQ, the object is to get the best musical experience possible, and for me, many times that means using some degree of EQ.  But those days may be behind me.  I'm at about 56 hrs of break-in on my Elears, so still short of the Focal-recommended 60-100, and I'm hoping that as they get fully broken-in I may not need EQ on anything anymore, but this cable has instantly reduced my usage from about 95% to maybe 25%.  That's huge and, I think, very telling.  The bass is that much more plentiful and defined, the upper-mids that much sweeter, and the overall sound is just that much more involving.  The reason I still have the LCD-2's is because the Elears have never been able to deliver the kind of "immersion" that I experience with them when I listen to harder rock.  That, too, may no longer be the case.  I'm not ready to say that definitely yet, but the Elears are definitely closing the gap. 

May 21, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #22 of 23
I recently decided to compare three different low cost DIY cable replacements for the Elear. Here are the three configurations I tried:

1. Blue Jeans Cable MSA-1 (this is the cable BJC uses for headphone cables). It is a pair of coax cables in a single jacket. The coax cables are small versions of their LC-1 interconnect which I use for all of unbalanced interconnects in my systems. Each coax a solid copper core and thick braid. (This is not strictly DIY since they come assembled.)
  2. DIY made with Belden 1800F balanced cable. This cable is used for BJC’s balanced cables. This cable is also referenced for other replacement cables on Head-Fi.
  3. DIY made with Moon Audio Black Dragon cable.

Connectors: the BJC cable came with Canare 1/8 inch TS connectors. These fit perfectly in the Elear sockets. All amp ends were Neutrik NC4MX-B 4-pin male connectors. The DIY 1/8 inch connectors were Rean NYS226BG 3.5mm mono TS plugs. These are a loose fit in the Elears so I added a coating of heat-shrink to the connector barrel that made for a more secure fit. MarkerTek.com is a good supplier for the DIY parts including 1800F cable by the foot. An unbalanced version of the BJC cable can be ordered directly from the MSA-1 Special Applications Page. Balanced versions must be separately quoted.

Impressions:

All three cables were significantly superior to the stock cable. The stock cable sounded muddy and flat in comparison. Note however that all of the test cables were much shorter - 4 to 6 feet compared to the 15 foot stock cable.

The differences between the three cables were modest but noticable.

All three produced a pleasant soundstage. The soundstage from the Black Dragon cable was the most forward but was uneven. The MSA-1 lacked any soundstage depth but width and focus were OK. The 1800F had the most depth and felt most natural of the three.

The MSA-1 had a slightly forward upper midrange. It also had the best bass definition of the group. For people that like forward upper midrange for female voice or guitar and tight bass (not enough for bass heads) this may well be to their liking.

The Black Dragon had an oddly uneven presentation over the frequency range with some frequencies being accentuated and others being recessed. Of the three, I thought this cable to be the least satisfying and most fatiguing.

The 1800F had the smoothest signature top to bottom. I was a little rolled off at the top end. Its bass was a bit recessed but reasonably well defined, though not as tight as the MSA-1. The bass presentation of an acoustic double bass in jazz recordings was very satisfying. The overall balance of tonality left me with that “ahh…” feeling as I listened. This was the only cable where I found myself forgetting that I was evaluating cables and just fell into listening to the music.

In conclusion, the 1800F is my first preference followed by the MSA-1. I will probably not use the Black Dragon again. The 1800F will be my primary cable and perhaps use the MSA-1 for some content. The 1800F is the least expensive followed closely by the MSA-1 and then a jump to the Black Dragon. This proves (to me at least) that you can get fine sound with inexpensive cables.

My listening biases: I listen to predominately classical music along with some jazz - almost exclusively acoustic music. I very rarely listen to rock. I hate bright cables and have very low tolerance for anything glassy, harsh or sibilant. I have strong preference for overall tonal balance even at the expense of frequency extremes.

Equipment used: Oppo BDP-93 > Yggdrasil > Ragnarok. I also briefly used the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA for unbalanced testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back