Looking for in-ears for less than 150 dollars
Jul 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Diod

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for some in-ears. I don't know all that much about headphones so I was hoping you guys could help me choose.

I'm probably gonna be using them mostly at work, so they can't leak too much sound, although I'm probably not gonna be playing music very loud anyways. 
Sound quality is important of course, but comfort can't take a back seat since I'll be wearing these 8+ hours a day.

Since I liked my Bose OE2s (they were extremely comfortable and the sound is very decent) I took a look at their IE2s and I have to say I like their tips, they look like they are very comfortable. However, I hear bad things about the quality of the sound and of the durability of the cables.

After some surfing around I stumbled upon the Yamaha EPH-100. People seem to really like these and they look extremely durable. However, I'm not exactly convinced of how comfortable these are since I hear they need to go very deep to sound like they are meant to.

Does anyone have any advice/alternatives?

It's probably useful to know what kind of music I listen to, but I don't have any specific genres. I listen to all kinds of music, although (almost) no classical music.

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for the suggestion. I see that you're supposed to wear those SE215s with the cable behind your ears, could that get uncomfortable for glasses wearers? 
The fact that you can easily replace the cable is nice.

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the suggestion. I see that you're supposed to wear those SE215s with the cable behind your ears, could that get uncomfortable for glasses wearers? 
The fact that you can easily replace the cable is nice.

Yea they are over ear. I wear sunglasses alot and they feel fine. I dont really feel uncomfortable at all.

Hope this helps

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 15
I've heard good things about the Shures SE215, they seem to be great value for money.

I've tried quite a few lower priced IEMs and had a lot of trouble with the fit.

You might also want to consider Klipsch. If you are going for a good seal the X1 is a good option.
They are very slender and with a good tip I can enjoy my music on a crowded train.
They cost about €30,- I recently picked up a pair for a mere €10,-
They sound very neutral. Bass, is present but not booming. Highs are nicely detailed.

I've heard of Teufel IEMs. I have not yet tried them, they are €100,- From what I've heard they are very neutral with detailed reproduction. I know of one person who returned them because they sounded to 'real'. He switched back to his Beats (jep). It's all a matter of personal preference ^_^

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 15
Do the SE215's feel comfortable in general, edyeded? I mean for longer periods, several hours at least.

Can't seem to find the Klipsch X1 around here (Western Europe), so I guess that's off the table.

The Teufel's seem interesting too, although from what I've read just now some people claim they are similar to Bose (all show). Personally, I found my Bose headset to be perfectly fine (and especially comfortable), they also lasted 5 years.

Ultimately, what I'm afraid about with in-ears (I've never had a decent pair, only ones that come with phones and such) is if they are comfortable for me. The pressure I feel when I put on the ones I got with my phone is somewhat distracting, although I do guess it fades away after a while.

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Do the SE215's feel comfortable in general, edyeded? I mean for longer periods, several hours at least.

Can't seem to find the Klipsch X1 around here (Western Europe), so I guess that's off the table.

The Teufel's seem interesting too, although from what I've read just now some people claim they are similar to Bose (all show). Personally, I found my Bose headset to be perfectly fine (and especially comfortable), they also lasted 5 years.

Ultimately, what I'm afraid about with in-ears (I've never had a decent pair, only ones that come with phones and such) is if they are comfortable for me. The pressure I feel when I put on the ones I got with my phone is somewhat distracting, although I do guess it fades away after a while.

If it helps, I see my friend wearing his all day. 

You might struggle with putting them on/off at first though, at least that's what I hear... never tried them myself. 

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 15
If it helps, I see my friend wearing his all day. 

You might struggle with putting them on/off at first though, at least that's what I hear... never tried them myself. 

Exactly that. It takes a little getting used to but once you find the positional sweet spot you can have them on for hours at a time no prob!

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 15
I second the 215's, I wore them with safety goggles every day. I did find the stock cord a little uncomfortable and hard to fit but the iPod cable was great, the UE900 and Fiio cables that work with them should also be great.

You could look at anything from the monster turbines to the hi-fi man RE-400, just depends on what kind of sound you want but the SE215's will block out the most noise.

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Are you sure that the SE-215's have the sound signature that you're looking for?

Iwien is right. The RE400s seem to be highly recommended by most in the community. Might want to check them out too

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #13 of 15
Ah yes, I see they are pretty well spoken of too. They are slightly harder to get around here though. I can't seem to find them in my country and would need to go through Amazon in one of the neighbouring countries (Amazon isn't available here). That said, if they are better than the SE215s (for me) I'd be willing to go the extra mile.

I'm not quite sure what kind of sound I'm looking for actually. I play all kinds of music. However, if I had to say which kind of music I listen to most is dance, electro, techno, dubstep, drum and bass and some "film music" like these:

Unlike what these genres might suggest, I'm not a basshead per se and I do like my mids/highs too.

I don't really have any useful reference points except for the fact that I actually kinda liked how my Bose OE2 sounded, but again, I don't have any other reference points so that's not saying much.

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #14 of 15
If it helps, the Klipsch X1 also goes by the name of S2.
There is also a S2m version with inline mike and pause play button.

Where are you from? Here in Holland both the X1 and S2 are still available.

But I have to say they are from 2009, so I reckon they aren't widely available.
Also, new eartips are hard to come by (and expensive at €4,- a piece!

Because of that I'm considering buying the Teufel IEMs myself.
They have a great return policy, so the only risk I take is packaging and shipping.

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #15 of 15
Oh it seems we're neighbours, I'm from Belgium :)
Hmmm, and the Teufels are 15 euro's cheaper than the SE215's over here.

Choices, choices, choices, ... It's hard to pull the trigger without having actually heard any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back