Looking for in-ear, portable headphones
Feb 20, 2005 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ender Wiggin

Head-Fier
I see a lot of people here mention headphones like the Etymotic ER-6 or Shure E2C but I've never worn any headphones quite like them...how exactly are they different from normal earbuds like say, MX450's? What's the comfort level and sound quality like? And how about the price?

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 6
there's a lot of information about both if you search around.

canalphones and earbuds are different animals entirely. canalphones/IEMs create a seal the same way earplugs do, by inserting into your earcanal. also, with the exception of the shure e2c's, they use balanced armature drivers. earbuds don't seal and they use traditional dynamic drivers.

senn mx400/500 are excellent for the money ($15 or less)... i can only surmise that the 450/550 are similar.

e2c's can be had for $60ish... er6 for $100ish... as far as i'm aware.

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #3 of 6
so exactly how far into your ear do the canal phones go? Do you have to force them in pretty deep to the point where it's uncomfortable? I don't exactly like the idea of shoving something deep in my ear with risk of damaging my eardrums somehow...

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 6
Don't worry! You won't damage your ear drums. Some of them goes in almost 1/2", but most of them goes in much less. Have you ever worn contact lenses and know someone who has? In ear monitors are somewhat same. Intially, putting in/out takes sometime and practice. Until you get use to wear them, you may feel uncomfortable. Eventually, you get used to it and you won't know they are there after while. However, like contact lenses, few people may never feel comfortable enough to use them for prolong period of time. Just use proper sized tips for your ears, you should be OK.

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender Wiggin
so what would you recommend for a first time user of canal phones? preferably on the cheaper side...

er6i, e2c, md33 (are these canalphones?)

which of these depends on your sound preference. do a search and you'll find tons of info on each, including direct comparisons.

if you want to know what canalphones feel like...they are not comfortable at first. not at all. but you get used to them. Now when I put regular earplugs in, I don't even notice theyre there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back