Looking for in-ear headphones for my Zune
Dec 29, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nowyoucanlaugh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, as far as the pod goes...if you're electronically savvy, there is always http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/im7...ectomy-200246/

And amping...I was under the impression that the Zune Headphone out might be powerful enough to deal with the 716, but I guess I may be wrong.

Ahead of you there. I'm not a DIYer, so I am sending my 716s away for their podectomy (price is high, AT $40, but the results appear to be worth it, since I paid $50 for them). The Zune80 does power them fine, but the 716s sound really fantastic with the Minibox, even with the pod. I just don't like it hanging there, and don't always want to use the amp.

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #17 of 32
Alrighht! I think I'm going for the Zune 30GB + Yuin PK3.

Noise-isolation isn't a big deal for me, just as long as it sounds clear and doesn't have overpowering bass. I'm not very fond of the J-shape, though.. I prefer the Y-shape.

I'm just curious.. are my 160 kbps mp3s even worthy of the Yuin PK3, or am I better off with something like the Sennheiser MX500s?

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #18 of 32
I'd say that 160 is a little low (though the majority of my library is in 192, so I can't talk for much), but good enough to justify the purchase. At least its not 128 or below XD

You may want to try to upgrade your library over time...burn any CDs in OGG or flac, etc.

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilosaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alrighht! I think I'm going for the Zune 30GB + Yuin PK3.

Noise-isolation isn't a big deal for me, just as long as it sounds clear and doesn't have overpowering bass. I'm not very fond of the J-shape, though.. I prefer the Y-shape.

I'm just curious.. are my 160 kbps mp3s even worthy of the Yuin PK3, or am I better off with something like the Sennheiser MX500s?

I can't speak for Shure or other brands. The PK3s are very fine ear buds for the price, just let them burn in 50-100 hours. As for bitrates, I think you will be okay with 160k, but you can always re-rip your favorite tracks at 192 or better yet, 256k.

I have some 96WMA and 128 WMA tracks on my Zune, and they don't sound bad with PK3s. The J-cable is a pain, but wear it behind you neck for more convenience. It's a little short too, but you can always add a cheap extension.

Jan 1, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 32
Thanks for the responses, and Happy New Year!
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a question about file formats and quality:
Let's say I have some music in 192kbps WMA, would it lose a lot of quality if I converted it to 192kbps mp3 or even 160kbps mp3? I'm wondering because I read that 96kbps WMA = 128kbps mp3, and anything over 160kbps in mp3 format sounds better than WMA.

Jan 1, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #23 of 32
Why bother converting a 192WMA to 192 MP3? You need to save space? I sometimes rip at 192 WMA and use WinXP's converter (MS Plus, it's called) to convert the files to 128 or even 96. But I ended up deleting most of the 96k files, since I got the 80GB Zune. That WMA to MP3 comparison isn't quite accurate (96wma is the same as 192mp3).

Jan 9, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by limathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ep630's are quite nice for the price
you might also want to consider yuin pk3's - an earbud, but they blow the ep630's out of the water, i'm waiting on my zune, but thats what i'll be using on the go :p

also if you dont mind clip on's koss ksc75 is amazing despite the very low price, just do a search on them and see the positive reviews, and they cost about 15bux.

I have all three and use them with my zune and on the go I use the ep630's since they isolate me from my noisy daily commute. Itching for an upgrade but really the sound is Awesome.

Jan 9, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Let's say I have some music in 192kbps WMA, would it lose a lot of quality if I converted it to 192kbps mp3 or even 160kbps mp3? I'm wondering because I read that 96kbps WMA = 128kbps mp3, and anything over 160kbps in mp3 format sounds better than WMA.

just use vbr aac if you don't want to use mp3s

Jan 9, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #27 of 32
In the vein of this thread, I am also looking for some IEMs for my Zune 80. I wrote this on a another forum regarding the ones that came with the Zune:

"Today I went out and decided that I'd try the in-ears that came with my Zune 80 (I've only used my Beyer DT 880s so far). The standard tips were too big so I switched them for the smalls and they're actually pretty comfortable. After walking for a bit, I didn't notice that there was anything in my ears.

As far as the sound, my expectations were pretty low. However, I was pleasantly surprised that the sound was quite acceptable. They're quite clear, with a bit of a mid-bass emphasis. Thankfully, the bass isn't really muddy, but it isn't super taught either and doesn't seem to extend super deep. The highs are a little unrefined but they're also rolled off a bit, so at least you're not being blasted with harshness.

Overall, they're slightly warm and rather forgiving, rounding the edges of notes just enough to produce a "nice" sound which isn't fatiguing. The soundstage also felt rather spacious for in-ears.

Definitely better than iBuds or any other included phones I've heard."

My only real beef with them is the cord is VERY microphonic and that's pretty annoying.

Looking to spend around $100-$150. I like neutrality, but a little warmth is fine and actually preferred. The Denon AH-C700 are a strong contender from what I've read about them. Any better options?

Thanks.

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

i tried to compare WAV and MP3 320 in my ipod video and the difference for me is enormous. later i tried AAC and MP3 and the AAC was a little better . i must add that i use CX300 . it seems that if you use better quality can , the difference will be more . so i recommend you to use aac

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking to spend around $100-$150. I like neutrality, but a little warmth is fine and actually preferred. The Denon AH-C700 are a strong contender from what I've read about them. Any better options?

I think the Denon's would be your best bet. They are still priced at $99.99 on Amazon which is amazing:

Denon AH-C700

Teh Super.fi 5 Pro would also be a good choice, but the price has jumped considerably. Some colors (red and clear) are still $139.99:

UE Super.fi 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back